Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
How is Dengue Fever spread?
What are symptoms of Dengue Fever? (8)
-Fever, rash, H/A, hepatitis, UGI bledding, pneumonia, splenic rupture, encephalopathy
How is Dengue Fever diagnosed?
What is the treatment for Dengue Fever?
Discuss Human Herpesvirus 8.
- Spectrum of symptoms, blood dyscrasias, hepatic failure
- -Associated with Kaposi Syndrome, HIV
- -Txt- supportive
How is Hantavirus spread?
What are symptoms of Hantavirus?
- -hemorrhagic fever w/ renal syndrome, pulm. edema/pulmonary syndrome
- -Non-specific prodrome (fever, chills, malaise)
- -Severe symptoms in 3-7 days
T or F. Treatment virus for Hantavirus is supportive.
False, needs hospitalization
What is the virus that causes Mono?
How is Mono spread?
Oral secretions, close personal contact
Symptoms of Mono?
-Fever, exudative pharyngitis, lymphadenopathy, big spleen, fatigue, malaise, nausea, abdominal pain, myalgia
What are some complications of the E-B virus?
-Splenic rupture, Guillian-Barre, hemolytic anemia
What is the Diagnosis for Mono?
- -Atypical WBC
- -Serologic testing
- -Mono spot may be positive until > 1week
T or F. Treatment for Mono is supportive?
True, steroids if enlarging tonsils constricting airway
How do pinworms spread?
Oral-fecal--> eggs laid at anus which are transmitted by fingers to bedding/toys (gross!)
What are symptoms of pinworms?
-Perianal itching, vaginal pruritis, teeth grinding at night, enuresis (bed wetting)
What is diagnosis of pinworms?
-worm visualization, transparent tape in AM
What is classic symptom of Malaria?
- -Paroxysmal high fever with chills >10-12hr, break if fever w/ profuse sweating
- -Waxing/waining fevers and feeling (occurs when RBC rupture release merozoites into blood)
What are 3 clinical symptoms of P vivax?
- 1. Hypersplenism
- 2. Anemia
- 3. Relapse (lays dormant)
What are 2 symptoms of P. malaraie?
- 1. Nephrotic syndrome
- 2. chronic asymptomatic parasitemia
What are symptoms of P Fal?
- 1. Neuro
- 2. Severe anemia
- 3. hypoglycemia
- 4. Respiratory
- 5. Renal failure
- 6. Shock
T or F. Is 1st test for Malaria is neg, should retest every 12hrs for 72hr.