Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
David W. Jones
Mass Motorization + Mass Transit
- Beltways caused commerce, jobs and people to move to suburbs
- America lead in streetcar and subway riders in the 1890's
- New Deal had spending for highways not Mass Transit
Republic of Drivers
- Taylor's scientific management threatens Autonomous individualism that America is built on and creates need for individual empowerment cars fill the void
- Revision of individualim to fit corporate model and reassertion of the heroic autonomous american male play into cars
There and Back
- Cars have allowed us to spread out in a way that raises energy consumption and costs
- Not gas mileage but odometer that is important
- Need density to support mass transit
- Cars shaped Zoning regs to separate home and work wasteful, inefficient and inauthentic
- Efforts to ease congestion-more cars-more congestion
"Can We Transform the Auto-Industrial Society?"
- Bailout should be "New Deal" for Detroit that ends auto-industrial society
- This would connect environmental, economic and energy policies and be socially just
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview