The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
what kind of fish has the largest stock in florida?
- major recreational fishery
- not for commercial use, catch and release
What is the number one fishery in terms of value?
herring, anchovies, sardines, (food, fishmeal, oil)
Cod, Haddock, Pollock, hakes (filets, salted, shirmi)
Tunas, swordfish, billfish (food, sportsfishing)
Shrimp, Lobster, Conch,scallops (food)
what makes a fishery?
taking fish, fish stocks, fisherman, everything down to final consumer
Number of eggs produced at spawning
Number that survive to actually enter fishery
number of fish in a distinct fishing region
fishing and natural mortality
What determines recruitment?
- survival of the young fish,
- movement of these fish to site of adult recruitment
- successful settlement of the new adult habitat
Two types of motion
- 1. Free drift in young and small fish
- 2. Active migrations that pattern movement