Diabetes type 1
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is type 1 diabetes?
when someones has a difficulty maintaining a normal blood glucose level (BGL)
Causes of Type 1 Diabetes?
- Body unable to produce insulin
- The body's immune system attacks and destroys the cells in the pancreas that poduce insulin
- Usually appears before the age of 40
Symptoms of Diabetes Type 1
the symptoms are usually obvious and develop quickly (over a few weeks)
- Frequent urination
- Lack of sleep
- Increased thirst- dry mouth
- Weight loss and loss of muscle bulk
- Blurred vision
- Skin infections
Types of treatment for type 1 diabetes
- Medical interventions
- Lifestyle changes
Medical interventios for type 1
- Injections of inulin: syringe, pen or pump
- insulin can not be taken as a tablet!
- Insulin can be: Long acting, Short acting, Rapid acting
Lifestyle Changes: Give reasons for all of these!
- Take regular exercise
- Follow a healthy diet
- Check BGL regularly
- Quit smoking
- Limit alcohol consumption
Councelling for type 1
- some people with diabetes may experience episodes of depression
- Psychological interventions and counselling can help people over come depression
Physical Impacts of living with diabetes type 1
- Heart disease
- Nerve damage
- Kidney disease
- Foot problems
- Sexual dysfunctions
- Miscarriage and still birth
Intellectual Impacts of living with diabetes type 1
- Difficult to concentrate in lessons or at work (due to being tired)
- children may miss school due to hypo or hyper glycaemia
Emotional Impacts of living with diabetes type 1
Anxiety/worry: for both patient & family
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview