Poli Sci Test 2
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- Represents constituents
- An interpretation of the role of the legislator
- Based on his or her judgement
- An interpretation of Legislator
Mutual aid and vote trading among legislators
The extent to which liberals and conservatives occupy the more extreme position
Winner Take All
All electoral votes go to one, except Maine and Nebraska
Democrats Voter's Mobilization
Labor to Neighbor
Republican Voter's Mobilization
- 72 Hour Campaign
- implemented in 2002 and 2004 campaigns
Boost that candidates may get in an election because of the popularity of candidates above them on the ballot
Horse Race Journalism
Media caring more about who's ahead less about the issues.
- Not well informed
- Don't vote regularlly
Redrawing of congressional and other legislative district lines following the census to accommodate populations shifts and keep districts as equal as possible in population.
Assigning by Congress of congressional seats after each Census
- Drawing boundary lines to favor a party. Cracking (pizza slice)
- Packing - merges pieces of the majority party in its weak districts into a single, strong district
- Earmarking, Visible, Staffing, and
- Franking - postage free to constituents.
Veto, Pocket Veto, and Override
- Veto - President officially denies a bill
- Pocket Veto - President ignores the bill for 10 days until it expires.
- Override - Both House and Senate agree with 2/3 majority
Media that caters to preferences, ie Fox News.
Which articles cover Legislative and Executive branches?
- Article 1 Legislative
- Article 2 Executive.
5 Powers of Congress
- Power to raise, Make, and Borrow Money
- Power to Regulate Commerce
- Power to Unify and Expand the Country
- Power to Prepare and Declare War
- Power to Create the Federal Judiciary
House Steps of Legislature
- 1. Bill Introduced
- 2. Subcommittee to Committee
- 3. Rules Committee to House Debate
- 4. Conference Committee between house and senate
- 5. President Signs of vetoes
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview