The Race Against Death
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- noun; a substance that stops or reduces the effect of a poison
- example: After a rattlesnake bit him, Clarence was rushed to the hospital and given an antitoxin.
- noun; a widespread occurrence of a negative event, especially an infectious disease;
- 2. adjective ; affecting a large number of people; widespread
- example 1: The flu epidemic has now hit all 50 states.
- example 2: By 1985, the number of AIDS cases in America had risen to epidemic proportions.
- noun; the freezing of the skin or deeper layers of tissue in some part of the body; an injury caused by severe cold, often to the nose, cheeks, chin, fingers, toes, or ears
- example: Frostbite is a serious condition, so be sure to wear warm clothes when you go outside
- verb; to make something ineffective or harmless
- example: Placing a box of baking soda in the refrigerator will neutralize bad smells.
- noun; 1. a military camp apart from the main group of soldiers, which guards against a surprise attack; 2. a settlement or station on a frontier or in a faraway place
- example 1: The army prepared for battle after the outpost sent word of an an approaching enemy.
- example 2: The people at the outpost were shocked to see us approaching. Largely cut off from the rest of the world, they didn’t get many visitors.
- noun; 1. the clear, thin, liquid part of the blood; it separates from blood when blood clots; 2. a liquid used to prevent or cure a disease; it is usually taken from the blood of an animal that has had the disease and is immune to it (also called antiserum)
- example 1: The doctor took a blood-serum sample to check Elliott’s dad’s cholesterol level.
- example 2: Jasper was saved by the serum he received at the hospital.
- noun; a measurement given in degrees that reports the combined effect of low temperature and the wind speed on exposed skin
- example: It was 40 degrees outside, but the windchill made it feel much colder.
- noun; the tube that links the lungs and the throat and that carries air for breathing; the trachea
- example: Janet started coughing after a bit of food went down her windpipe.
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview