The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
No such thing as a view from nowhere.
Perspective - The master and the slave view their relationship differently.
Where people stand in society.
No Bias. View from Nowhere
Science views objectivity as the absolute truth - accurate description of the facts.
Developing a list of common, recurring themes that are often organized as code that helps map out how individuals use language and make sense of their culture and world.
The aim is to classify features, count them, and construct statistical models in an attempt to explain what is observed.
Researcher already knows what they are looking for.
Place in space while in the field.
How you exist in the world and how others respond to you.
Information comes from a sensory experience.
Only scientific knowledge is the truth.
Society operates according to general laws like the physical laws of nature.
Introspective and intuitive knowledge is rejected.
- Examining words for counting.
- Looks at the frequency
- Whey is the trend happening
Numerical analysis of the frequency an item appears.
How something is said.
How it is socially constructed.
Respect for participants requires that they should be able to choose what should or should not happen to them.
- 3 elements
- 1. Informations
- Participant awareness of the research procedure, purpose, risks, benefits, opportunity to ask questions and ability to withdraw.
- 2. Comprehension
- Information presented so they can understand
- Must respect their capacities
- 3. Voluntariness
- Must be able to freely choose to participate
- Money should not be used when it would harm the participant.
Researcher takes part in group that is being researched.
We make the change. Researcher and participant.
- Hard to implement
- Hard to define
- Hard to come from outside and find the problem
- Need inside perspective
- Problem might not be recognized
What counts as knowledge.
How knowledge is acquired
Possible extent to which we can know.
- I can do it by myself.
- I did good becuase of my own abilities.
- European dogma
- Earnings are a result of individual merit and hard work
With certain tools, absolute truth could be known to all
Seeking absolute truth.