The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Objectivity and validation
- Objectivity is an honorific concept.
- Hard to define because its hard to explain
Some feminists have abandoned this idea because it is impossible to be completely objective.
Love and Knowledge: Emotions in feminist epistemology
Truth without emotions (the physical feelings and physiological response).
Reason has direction, emotions does not and is involuntary
- Emotional hegemony
- The way society supports the subjugation of of emotions based on gender.
Values and Objectivity
- 2 intended ascriptions of objectivity to scientific method
- 1. willingness to let facts rule
- 2. Impartial criteria not our own wishes
Most objective when seeking knowledge not the solution of the truth.
Learning from outsider within: The sociological significance of black feminist thought
- Outsider within is within our homes but not really part of that society.
- The occupy a special place because they see things insiders cannot.
- Self definition is defining who you are.
- Self valuation is valuing who you are
The need for a new vision: The subsistence perspective
Need for qualitative change.
Schizophrenia of commodity producing societies is the people are both consumers and producers.
It is possible to live within our means (live off nature).
Major themes in standpoint approach are those at the top dictate our roles.
The weak provide resources for growth by guiding the new questions about nature, science and society.
Feminist participatory research
Participatory research is designed to create change.
It is assumed that everything is a power display.
It is hard to do because it is time consuming.
Democratizing biology: reinventing biology form a feminist, ecologica and third world perspective
Dominant biological paradigm needs reinvented because it reinforces bias.
Patriarchal world views lets us rape the world for our own benefit not looking at what the world needs.
Does not like Locke.
Wietzer and Kubin
Misogeny in rap music: A content analysis of prevalence and meaning
Looked at lyric in rap for misogyny.
- 5 distinct misogynistic lyric traits
- 1. Naming and shaming
- Status degridation
- 2. Sexual objectification
- Women only good for sex
- 3. Cant trust em
- Distrust of women
- 4. Legitimating violence
- Condoning violence against women
- 5. Women as prostitutes, men as pimps
- self explanatory
Gillam and Wooden
Post-princess models of gender: The new man in Disney/Pixar
- They looked at movies leading characters to see how men are represented.
- More tender now.
Alpha males take a more feminine quality now, emasculated.
Still instilling normative heterosexual relations.
Wars, wimps and women: Talking about gender and thinking war.
Gender is how a culture assigns meaning to sex difference.
Gender discorse is how we think about gender.
National security discourse is gendered because it is a display of strength.
Dude you're a fag: Adolecent masculinity and the fag discourse
Definition is contradictory because it is mostly used to describe heterosexual boys.
Fag is the opposite of masculine.
An example of gendered homophobia because it is mostly boys who use it and are described by it.
Spice girls, nice girls, girlies and tomboys: Gender discourses, girls' cultures and femininities in the primary classroom
These girls identify themselves differently.
Tomboys are more accepted by boys.
Girlies are more heteronomative group
Examined how girls talked about each other.