Home Economics - Food Processing and Leftovers
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is food processing?
This is treating foods in some way to make them easier to use
List the advantages of food processing
1. Lasts longer
2. Saves time in preparing
3.Easier to transport
4. Easier to store
5. Seasonal foods are available all year round
List the disadvantages of food processing
2. Not as tasty as fresh foods
3. Nutritional value is often reduced
What is food preservation?
This is a type of food processing that slows down food going bad
List the conditions micro-organisms need to grow
6. Correct pH
List the advantages of food preservation
1. Prevents waste so it saves money
2. Seasonal foods are available all year round
3. Adds variety to the diet
4. Easy to prepare
List the different methods of preserving food
Canning and bottling
Adding chemical preservatives
What is the purpose of blanching foods before freezing?
It destroys enzymes that can reduce the quality of frozen vegetables
Describe how blanching is done
Plunge vegetables into boiling water for 1 - 4 minutes and then plunge them into ice cold water
Suggest guidelines for buying frozen foods
1. Packaging should not be torn
2. Food should be frozen solid
3. Check that freezer reads -18 degrees or less
4. Check that food is below load line in freezer
Name different types of packaging suitable for freezing
Waxed cartons with lids
Name foods that are not suitable for freezing
Vegetables with a high water content
Briefly describe a method of preserving food in detail
The food is brought to a temperature of -18 degrees or below
The enzymes and micro-organisms are not killed at this temperature but become inactive
List different items of information that must appear on a food label under EU law
Name of food
List of ingredients
Best before date
Name and address of manufacturer
Country of origin
Instructions for use
What are EU numbers?
These are additives that are considered to be safe by the EU
List an advantage of food additives
1. They make food last longer
2. Reduce the chance of food poisoning
3. Wider choice of foods available
4. Improve the appearance, texture and flavour of foods
List a disadvantage of food additives
1. Some people can suffer from rashes and hyperactivity
2. It can deceive comsumers about food quality eg. colourings
What is the purpose of antioxidants?
To stop fat from reacting with the air and going off
What is the purpose of colourings?
To make food look more appetising
What is the purpose of emulsifiers?
To allow oil and water to mix
What is the purpose of flavour enhancers?
To strengthen the flavour of food
What is the purpose of preservatives?
To stop food from going off
Name a leftover dish that could be made using bread
Bread and butter pudding
Name a leftover dish that could be made using chicken
Name a leftover dish that could be made using eggs
Bread and butter pudding
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview