Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is bone composed of ?
- Over 20% water
- 2/3 Minerals- Calcium & Phosphrus & Magnesium
- 1/3 Orgnaic Matter- Collagen
List 6 Functions of the Skeletal System
- 1) Protect body vital organs
- 2) Support the body
- 3) Provide points of attachment for skeletal muscles
- 4) Give shape to body
- 5) Stores the supply of calcium
- 6) Vital functions of bone formation, red & white blood cells & the platelets
Describe the Spinal Column
- The spinal column is a stack of vertebrae; separated by cartilage disks
How is a long bone constructed ?
- The middle shaft (disphysis)
- is connected to the ends (epiphysis)
- by a transtitional segment (melaphysis)
Three kinds of Synovial Joints ?
- 1) Ball & Socket Joint
- 2) Hinge Joint
- 3) Pivot Joint
The Ball and Socket Joint is found in the ___ or _______.
Hip or Shoulders
Hinge Joints are actions of the
Fingers & Knees & Elbows
Pivot Joints appear at the ____ and _____.
Wrists & Elbows
List 7 types of fractures
- 1) Greenstick
- 2) Compound
- 3) Closed
- 4) Comminuted
- 5) Impacted
- 6) Depressed
- 7) Spiral
Compund Fracture-(open) bone breaks the skin
Greenstick Fracture- (incomplete) hairline fracture, did not break all the way through
Closed Fracture- (simple) Complete break, not breaking skin
Comminuted Fracture- More than one break
Spiral Fracture- twisting break winding around the bone
Impacted Fracture-broken end jammed together
The 5 Follow up treatments of fractures are
- 1) Supply & Immobilized
- 2) Prevent Shock
- 3) Bleeding, Coverwound
- 4) Utilize traction if long bone is fractured
- 5) If compound or comminuted fraction, surgery occurs
How does a bone heal? ( 5 healing process)
- 1) Hematoma Occurs
- 2) Healing process is started & fibrous bridge forms
- 3) Cells turn into cartilage
- 4) Calcium accumalates, forming callus
- 5) New Bone is made
What conditions might result in need for amputation?
- a) Severe trauma
- b) Malignant tumor
- c) Lack of circulation
- d) Complications of other conditions ( diabetes)
An adult has how many bones?
Bone covering is ?
Sacral Vertebrae are located in the ...
Posterior pelvic gridle
The place where two or more bony parts join together is called
a surgical procedure to view inside a joint
Rheumatoid Arthritis is cause by
a fault in the immune system
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome causes symptoms in the
Thumb & first two fingers
Lordosis refers to
Abnormal anterior convex curvature of the lumbar spine
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview