Card Set Information
Skin Sweat oil glands Diseases
Layers of skin, skin diseases & disorders
List 5 Functions of the skin
1) Protection - against bacteria, underlying tissue from injury & loss of body fluid
2) Perception - Sense of touch, heat & cold, pain & pressure
3) Temperature Control - body produces sweat to cool, heat regulator
4) Absorption - moisture & medication
5) Excretion- skin gets rid of water,salt, & waste
How does the skin regulate body temperature ?
, allows heat to escape to cool off body,
to reduce loss of heat ( retain heat)
How does the body cool off?
from skin surface & then you cool off
What are the three layers of skin?
- bottom layer, contains blood vessel, nerves & fat globules
- middle layer, "true skin" contains blood vessels, nerves, hair follicles, sweat & oil glands
- top layer, ridges, appear on the soles of your feet
Which layer of skin contains blood vessels, nerves, hair follicles, sweat & oil glands?
- contains blood vessels, nerves, hair follicles, sweat & oil glands?
What causes wrinkles?
the fatty underline tissue in the skin
causing the skin to
lose its elasticity
xcess of outer lay
er to develop wrinkles & folds
Why does exposure to sun darken skin?
the melanin rises to the surface,
causing it to tan
Why does the skin become red when you blush?
the blood vessels dilate,
blood vessels enlarge,
causes redness in the skin
colored spot, neither elevated nor depressed
solid, elevated circular red mass
small circumscribed lesion, with exudate & lymph
blisterlike, elevated mass, containing serous fluid
round lesion, white center, itches
loss of hair usually on scalp
raised wheal surrounded by reddened areas, itches
red macule, becomes vesicle,then pustle yellow crust & outer rim
red papules, silvery scales
flat lesion, dry scaly, moist,crusty, outer ring
Verrucae is medical term for
temporary red itchy spot caused by an allergic reaction or insect bite is