E08 Planning and Policy Development
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
Forces impacting the development of the policy manual are:
Internally Imposed Sources-influences within the department itself which effect administrative action
Externally Imposed Sources-unions, government, courts and the community; something outside the agency that influences administrative action
Why do we plan?
- -To outline the activities (blueprint) necessary to achieve goals
- -To find out where your department is right now
- -To anticipate and coordinate necessary resource allocations, schedules, tasks, and other actions for the department to realize its goals.
When "Planning to Plan," you must identify 3 aspects of the organization:
- S - Structure
- T - Technology
- P - People
Effective goals have to be ____________ & _____________.
Challenging and Realistic
You need a __________ to obtain a goal.
When organizational parts interact to produce a joint effect that is greater than the sum of the parts acting alone, ________ takes place.
Before Supervisors can organize, lead, or control, they must first __________.
Planning does not mean the right decision will be made...Why?
- -Too many assumptions are made
- -Tends to be inflexible
- -Internal resistance to establishing goals
To be effective and efficient as a police planner, the purpose of planning is:
making sure the department is doing the right thing and doing things right
Some police officials resist the planning process because:
- -They fear failure
- -Lack control of the environment
- -Lack organizational knowledge
Name the Benefits to Planning:
- 1. More effective control systems ensures progress and movement in the right direction toward goal achievement
- 2. Better coordination of efforts, activities, and responsibilities toward the goals
- 3. Focuses on forward thinking (considers resources needed and potential opportunities or threats)
- 4. Participatory work environment leads to buy in by the work force (a new chief would want this type of work environment)
Overcoming the Barriers to Planning include:
The test question might ask which does not help to overcome barriers (centralized planning; not above bulleted point).
- 1. Involve all department members in the decision making
- 2. Encourage strategic planning/thinking
- 3. Tolerate a diversity of views
Another question might be: what are the 3 ways to overcome the barriers to planning.
What are considered "Costs to Planning?"
- 1. Management Time-can be heavily invested and be missing other vital areas within the department
- 2. Delays to Making Decisions-can be a hindrance due to time; consuming acquisition of information and data. this can affect a police department's response time
A ____________ is the desired future state that the department is striving to achieve.
The criteria for effective goals include:
Challenging, but realistic
The mechanisms used to monitor the department's performance relative to its goals and plans.
_______________ broadly describes the basis "business" scope and operations that distinguish it from other departments.
The Reason for Existence
The Mission Statement
The planning process starts with a _____________.
A Mission Statement focuses on:
- 1. Desired type of activities for the department
- 2. Customer service
- 3. Department values
- 4. Department aspirations
- 5. Reason for being
- 6. Attitude toward co-workers
A Mission Statement influences the formulation of the ____________ & __________ which are developed by top managers.
Strategic Goals and Strategic Plans
Two Primary Types of Planning:
- 1. Strategic Planning
- 2. Operational Planning
The process by which the organization obtains strategic goals and tends to affect its long-range planning
___________ focuses on the day-to-day activities that are necessary to achieve the long term goals
___________ includes the planning and decision making that lead to the establishment of the firm's goals and the development of a specific strategy plan.
___________ planning focuses on the day-to-day activities that are necessary to achieve long term goals
______________ commonly referred to as the Standard Operational Procedure (SOP), this plan deals with certain types of events that occur regularly, minimizing the time needed in planning and decision making.
The Standing Plan
The Standing Plan limits ________ and creates ____________ during regularly occurring tasks or events.
flexibility / consistency
A guide to thinking, a broad statement of the department's guiding principles.
Policy provides ________________.
Consistency of Actions
Test question may read..."Policy provides consistency of actions"
Policies must focus on _______ and _____.
Goals and Plans
Policies must provide __________ to allow officers to utilize their judgement and discretion.
A policy format includes:
The method of performing or carrying out agency activities; specifies action in a particular situation to perform a task within the guidelines of policy.
________ are a series of interrelated sequential steps established for the accomplishment of a task.
The focus is on "Steps"
A _________ is a managerial mandate or guideline that either requires or prohibits specific behavior.
- -Be absolute, short, and direct
- -Only address behaviors for which right actions are clearly differentiated from wrong actions
- -Eliminate discretion
3 Types of Single Use Plans:
- 1. Programs
- 2. Projects
- 3. Budgets
__________ are Single Use Plans that govern a comprehensive set of activities designed to accomplish a particular set of goals
______________ are Single Use Plans that direct the efforts or individuals or work groups toward the achievement of a specific goal.
____________specify how financial resources should be allocated.
Single Use Plans typically include ______ and _________
Programs and Projects
________ must be mutually agreed upon by the officer and supervisor to create a strong commitment or buy in by the officers
___________ is a police activity that departments do particularly well in comparison to other police organizations
____________ is a performance measurement process throughout the organization that aligns individual goals with the organization's strategic goals
Balance Scorecard BCS
_____________, often referred to as scenarios (often WORST CASE), define the police department's responses to be taken in case of emergencies or setbacks.
In regards to the Planning Time Horizon, one of the major problems in organizations today is the emphasis on _____________.
Short Term Results
__________________ is a long term planning process requiring the planner to analyze the current situation in the agency.
The Strategic Management Process
A useful instrument to use in the Strategic Management Process is ________________.
_________ are characteristics of the external environment that possess the potential to help departments achieve or exceed their strategic goals
Some agencies take decentralized planning even farther and involving workers at all levels in the organization in the planning process.
This is called?
PDM - Participative Decision Making
Each written policy should state:
1. Purpose-the intended/desired result of the policy; the reason why the policy exists
2. Policy-summarizing the dept.'s position on matters;concise position statements
3. Definitions-define key terms in the policy
Policies should be _______ and ______ in tone.
Short and Postive
3 terms which limit officer discretion:
All policies stem from Mission, Philosophies, ________.
Goals & Objectives
Policy development addresses _____________ rather than strict control
Policy provides a ____________ by which the department can be held accountable.
Set of Standards
It is critical that individuals who ultimately must live with the policy be involved in its developments of a _________.
External imposed forces stem from _______, _______, ______, _______ which can impose general guides and affect administrative actions.
Unions, government, courts, community
The three components of the manual which set the tone of the department and provide guidelines from which all succeeding policies and procedures should be derived.
- 1. Philosophy
- 2. Goals and Objectives
- 3. Fundamental Rules of Conduct
______ from a wide range of staff, other professionals, and citizens is important.
A ___________ provides guiding principles and should flow from the department's statement of philosophy and all procedures.
The policy manual is regarded as a ____________ and those interested in the administration should bot be denied access to the document
The policy manual should contain:
- 1. Statement of Philosophy
- 2. Goals and Objectives
- 3. Rules of Conduct
If an unusual even not covered by policy occurs, officers can use the department's _______ and ______ to proceed.
Philosophy and Rules of Conduct
The most difficult stage in regard to organizational policy
The implementation stage
The most telling evidence that a policy was started in response to a critical incident is evidenced by a __________ that lists policies in chronological order.
Table of Contents
Properly formulated and maintained policy statements provides administrative guidance which can accomplish:
- -Clarification of directives and mandates
- -Enhancement of police training
- -Establishment and clarification of priorities
- -Enhancement of the community relations
THIS ALL PROVIDES A CONSISTENCY OF ACTIONS
The police functions that are high _____ and high _____ require the most extensive policies, training, and overall guidance.
high risk and high frequency
For training to be valid, it should include _____ on trained personnel.
The chief must be actively involved because if the need for:
- -Uniformity of policy statements
- -Full authority to stand behind policy
- -Vesting top command with the ultimate responsibility
Factors of Draftsmanship:
- -Policy statement should be short and positive in tone
- -Test your policies prior to implementing
- -The best rules should be absolute, short, and direct
When dealing with SWOT, Strengths and Weaknesses are _______ issues, while Opportunities and threats are _________ issues.
Internal / external
A department's statement to address cultural diversity is _________.
TRUE or FALSE...
A policy manual is a public document.
TRUE OR FALSE?
People can be denied access to your policy manual.
Policies focus on ________
Procedures focus on _________.
Policies focus on goals and plans
Procedures focus on specific steps officers should take
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview