Glossary Of Grammatical Terms (study)
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
An Article is?
- An article is a word that precedes a noun & determines whether it is a definite or indefinite noun, for instance- The book, An object:
- A defeinite article is the word "the"
- A indefinite article is the word"a" or "an"
An Adjective is?
- An Adjective is a word that describes or clarifies a noun. Adjectives describe nouns by giving some information about an object's:
- An adjective is a descriptive word that describes a noun:
- SIZE:It's a big table.
- SHAPE: It's a round table
- AGE: It's a old table.
- COLOR: It's a brown table.
- ORIGIN: It's a English table.
- MATERIAL: It's a wooden table.
- OPINION: It's a lovely table.
- OBSERVATION: It's a broken table.
- PURPOSE: It's a coffee table.
What is a Adverb?
An adverb is a descriptive word that describes or modifies.
It is easy to see how an adverb describes, or modify, verbs since they simply explain most action.
You can also tell whether something is an adverb by looking at the ending of the word. A lot of adverbs-NOT all But a lot end in ly.
- He quickly runs.
- She slowly runs.
- He happily runs.
Adverbs can also describe adjectives or other adverbs.
They provide more information about that other descriptive word.
very quickly runs.
- In this sentence, quickly is an adverb describing the word runs. The very pretty girl sat down.
- In this sentence, pretty is an adjective describing the noun girl. Very is an adverb describing the adjective pretty.
- He happily runs.
- You can tell that happily is an adverb because it is describing the word runs and because it ends in ly.
- Many frequency words are adverbs as well.
- For example:
- can be adverbs.
- *The very pretty girl was in the car.
- *The much smarter boy won the race.
What is a noun?
- A noun is a;
- Person ( an individual like Lisa)
- Place ( an individual place like McAllen TX)
- Thing ( like a set of things" all stores" or "All Cars"
- Abstraction (love, peace, hate, justice)
- Concrete (5 senses-see, hear, taste, touch, smell)
What is a suffix?
The adjective "smokeless" is formed by adding the suffix "less" to the noun smoke.
The adverb "sadly" is formed by adding the suffix "ly" to "sad".
What is an indefinite noun?
A noun that can have many meanings and is therefore indefinite - i.e. it does not refer to a specific object.As a genearl rule, non-proper nouns that are preceded by the article 'a(n)' are indefinite, while non-proper nouns that are preceded by the article 'the' are definite.Examples:"Let's go to the party." - I want to go to a specific party (definite) "Let's go to a party." - I don't care which party I go to (indefinite)
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview