Home Economics - Services to the Home
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
What is a circuit breaker?
These are switches that switch off if there is a fault
State the function of a circuit breaker
To switch off electricity if there is a fault
How does a fuse work?
This blows if there is a fault and breaks the flow of electricity
What is the brown wire in a plug called? What does it do?
Live - brings electricity to the appliance
What is the blue wire in a plug called? What does it do?
Neutral - returns the electricity to the ESB
What is the yellow/green wire in a plug called? What does it do?
Earth - if something goes wrong electricity will flow to the ground and not through the person
State four points regarding electrical safety
1. Do not touch anything with wet hands
2. Do not overload sockets
3. Do not bring electrical appliances into a bathroom
4. Use the correct fuse
5. Do not repiar damaged leads
List four things you should do/not do if you were to smell gas at home?
1. Open doors and windows
2. Do not smoke
3. Do not turn on a switch
4. Turn the gas off at the meter
5. Call the gas company
Why is chlorine added to domestic water supplies?
To kill bacteria
Why is fluroine added to domestic water supplies?
For strong teeth and bones
Why should you not drink water from bathroom taps?
Because it comes from the tank in the attic and is not freshwater
How can water be heated in the home?
1. Electric showers
2. Immersion in the hot press
3. Back boiler
4. Central heating
5. Solar panels
Why is the kitchen normally placed under a window?
Because it is nice to look out the window while working
What is the purpose of a U or S bend on a sink?
It stops germs and smells from coming back up the plughole
Why do water pipes sometimes burst in winter?
Because water expands when frozen
What should you do if you have a burst pipe?
Turn off the water at the mains
Run cold taps to clear the pipes
Turn off heating
Call a plumber
List four different types of lighting
1. Tungsten filament bulb
2. Halogen bulbs
3. Fluorescent tubes
5. LED bulbs
Name and describe the three different methods of heat transfer
1. Conduction - heat travels along something solid and the whole object becomes hot eg. storage heater
2. Convection - air or water is heated, rises and is replaced by cool air or water eg. fan heater
3. Radiation - heat rays heat the object or person they shone on eg. bar fire
What is a heating thermostat?
It can be set for a certain temperture and when it is reached, the thermostat switches the heating system off
How should an attic be insulated?
With fibreglass, wool and condensed foam
What is a Building Energy Rating certificate?
This is an energy rating of your house and it tells you how energy efficient your house is
It goes from a scale of A to G
Why is good ventilation necessary in the home?
It replaces stale air with fresh air
It stops condensation
It stops the room from getting too warm
Suggest four different ways resources can be converted in the home
1. Choose appliances with a good energy rating
2. Have a lagging jacket on hot water tank
3. Have showers instead of baths
4. Use thermostats to heat the room
5. Use energy efficient light bulbs
6. Turn off TV and lights when not using them
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview