The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
In what ways can you operate a MOV?
From MPCMS; locally by switching it from remote to local; and manually while in local by operating the clutch switch.
What spaces are protected by CO2?
Gens 1 & 2; Boiler Rooms 1 & 2; ADG; Flammable stores locker; Hazmat Locker.
How long must you wait prior to entering a compartment protected by a CO2 system after a CO2 discharge?
You may not enter a closed compartment, tank, or void unless a valid _________ has been issued by a ___________.
Gas free chit; Gas free engineer
What is the proper procedure for opening QAWTD when flooding when flooding is suspecting on the other side?
Use portholes, tap on door, open slowly slack off the dogs to the striker plate, slack the hinged side dogs first just enough for water to seep out.
What are the dangers of operating an internal combustion engine below decks?
It produces CO (carbon monoxide) which can asphyxiate a person and noise.
What are the proper traffic patterns in the event of an emergency?
STBD FWD, Port Aft, STBD Up, Port Down
Black Smoke Reported Symbol
The Letter S with a line under it and below that Black, Time
Bravo Fire Engaged
The Letter B with a circle around it and a line underneath and below that Time
Bravo Fire Extinguished
The Letter B with a not circle around it and underneath a line and below that Time
Abbreviation for quick acting watertight hatch
Abbreviation for manhole cover
Abbreviation for fire main cut out valve
Abbreviation for watertight hatch
What is the title of the 2JV phone circuit
Engineers Circuit Sound Powered Phone
How do you properly test for agent with a vari nozzle
Turn all the way left and click right once and then quickly test for agent.
What are the primary agent for fighting alpha fires?
High Velocity water fog (H2O)
What is the primary agent for fighting bravo fires?
- PKP (for spray fires)
- AFFF (for pool fires)
What is primary agent for fighting charlie fires?
What are the four elements that make up the fire tetrahedron?
Temperature, Oxygen, Fuel and Unihibited Chemical Reaction.
Who gives the order to abandon ship?
What constitutes a flooding boundary?
Any of the six sides to the compartment is a boundary transverse watertight bulkhead.
A. Control flooding by securing all watertight doors, hatches, and scuttles in the main watertight bulkheads and decks closest to the flooding.
b. Personnel should standby to inspect for any leaks, and to shore or plug as necessary to hold back the water.
How does a compartment Check-Off List help you with space isolation?
It lists all fittings in a space as well as their class.
How long must the fire watch stay on-scene after the completion of hot work?
30 minutes after or the surface is cool whichever is longer.
What are the four components of shoring?
Shore, Shole, Strong Back and Wedge
What is the rated load strength of a 3'-5' metal shore at 3'?
20, 000 psi
What is the rated strength of a 6"-11' metal shore at 11'?
Shoring is designed to force a bulkhead or fitting back into its original position? True or False
How big of a plug would you use on a 4" hole?
6" because it is two inches bigger
To measure the maximum length of a shore you measure ______ times the minimum butt thickness.
The 3 types of shoring are?
K, H and T
How long will a 15 lb CO2 last under continuous use?
The installed CO2 has a time delay of _______
What type of fire nozzles do we have on our fire stations?
1-1/2 vari nozzle
The ratio of AFFF to Water is?
97% Water 3% AFFF
The procedure for properly setting and maintaining a fire boundary?
Close off openings, monitor boundarys for heat or smoke and apply cooling water when required
When activating the CO2 flooding system. you must pull the ________ release pull cable before the ________ release pull cable.
The ARGUS thermal is used for?
To find hot spots not visible to the naked eye
The 1-1/2 vari nozzle has ___ bail positions
How long will the new OCENCO EEBD provide oxygen for?
The Blue (Grey) suits located outside of DCC are used for ?
The High Voltage Response Team.
Where are the P-100 Pumps located?
2 in the Arctic Gear Locker, 1 each in the Port and STBD 01 Deck
How many gallons of AFFF does the AFFF tank hold?
If you were filling the position of hoseman on the attack ram what equipment would you don to be properly dressed to fight the fire?
SCBA, Flash Hood, FFE
To report damage Bridge Number# ____ and ECC # ______ and make a Page # ____
What is the suction lift of a P-100 pump w/o an educter?
What is a Flash Point?
The lowest temperature at which a liquid gives off suffecient vapor to form an ignitable mixture
The 3 ways heat is transferred are?
Conduction, Convection and Radiation
What size discharge hose is used with the submersible pump?
How many gallons per minute will the submersible pump deliver with a 50 foot discharge head?
Where is the WQSB located and when do you check it?
Outside of the log office/ each time the ship leaves port.
What spaces are protected by AFFF?
GENS 1 & 2, Boilers 1&2, Incinerator room, AMR 1 & 4, Hydraulic Equipment Room, JP5 Room, Aft Hose Handling Room, Helo Hanger
The SCBA can properly protect you from a toxic gas environment? True or False
Where is the SCBA refilling station?
Forward stores Handling and a portable in the Hanger
Prior to donning a SCBA you should always check?
The tank level is 4000 psi and mask condition
As a rule of thumb a SCBA cylinder will last for?
You should drill a 1/4" hole at the ends of a crack to prevent?
It keeps it from spreading
The soft patch is rated at ______ psi
You must apply ____ layers of marlin to a soft patch.
What is the effective range of a 15-lb CO2 extinguisher?
All plugs larger than ____ inches must be shored.
What spaces are protected with toxic gas alarms?
CO2 room, Bow thruster sewage treatment room
Where is the remote fuel shutdown for the ADG?
Outside of ADG, STBD side door
The 4 Principals of investigation are be thorough, be ______ , report and ______.
The main drainage system of Healy is rated for _____ gallons per minute.
You can use the same sounding tape for both fuel and water? True or False
A space is considered safe when the oxygen level is between __% and __%
Use the ___________ for testing for toxic gases.
5 Gas Analyzer
When conducting a test for explosive gases the explosive gas level should be less than ___of the lower explosive limit
When Conducting atmospheric tests you must test a minimum of _____ points around the space to consider it safe.
When erecting a metal shores you use the _____ in place of wedges to tighten the shoring.
Swivel base / Jack
How long will a PKP extinguisher last under continuous use?
The Range Guard System uses the Firefighting agent called _________.
Aqueous Potassium Carbonite
The P-100 is rated at ____ gallons per minute at 83 psi.
What is the air flow (CFM) of the box fan?
What type of fuel does the P-100 Pump use?
Suction hoses for the P-100 should be spanner wrench tight? True or False
What is the effective range of an AFFF extinguisher?
15 feet and diminishing. 10-12 feet for 55 seconds
Ventilation is in and out is called:
Supply and Exhaust
Explain the procedures for fighting a fire using an AFFF hose reel.
Release the brake, fake out the fire hose, energize the silver box, open the valve, test for agent.
All classified fittings that are inoperable must be logged in the ______ section of the DC Closure Log.
In-op fittings of the DC Closure Log.
What is a Battle Dressing Station and where is it located aboard Healy?
Area to treat wounds. Medical and Messdeck
When lowering a submersible pump into a space always use the __________
When using any type of pump, the basket strainer located in _________ should always be utilized if possible.
Repair 2 or 3
Name the two locations of Peri Jet Eductors.
Port & STBD Air Castles
What is the next step after the fire is extinguished and the re-flash watch is set?
Overhaul the fire
List the colors of smoke for each of the following fires.
The hose thread used on Coast Guard vessels is called NPSH which differs from shore side fire stations. True or False
The low alarm on the O2 meter sounds at _______
Where are the extra 1-1/2", 2-1/2", and 4" hoses kept?
Repair 2 & 3
What procedures must be followed when temporarily breaking watertight integrity?
If it is a circle x, y, z fitting you may open and close as needed all others require EOW permission
What are the six sides of a compartment?
Deck, Overhead, Forward, Aft, Port & Starboard
What is the first step in extinguishing a class Charlie fire?
Which of the following is not a symptom of shock?
Distended neck veins
Which of the following is the most correct other to control bleeding?
Direct pressure, elevation, pressure point, tourniquet
What are the Main Spaces?
Generator Room 1&2; Boiler Room 1&2; ADG; AMR 1; AMR 4; Incinerator Room and JP5 Room
When using a tourniquet all of the following statements are true except?
Once applied any EMT or trained first responder can remove it
What Spaces are covered by CO2?
Gen Rooms 1&2; Boiler Rooms 1&2; ADG; Flammable Gear Locker (Paint Locker) and Hazmat Locker
What are the High Voltage Spaces?
Gen Rooms 1&2; AMRs 7&8; Cycloconverter Room; Port & Stbd Transformer Rooms; Main Motor Room; Bow Thruster Sewage Room; Bow Thruster Soft Start P-way and Main Lab.
What Spaces are covered by AFFF Sprinkling?
- Incinerator Room
- AMR1 Upper,Lower, Bilge
- Boiler Rooms 1&2 (u)
- AMR 4 Upper and Lower
- Gen Room 2 (b)
- JP-5 Room
- Hydraulic Room
- Fuel Hose Room
- Gen Room 1 (b)
- Flight Deck Monitor
Where are the AFFF Hoses located?
- Gen Rooms 1&2
- Boiler Rooms 1&2
- AMR 1
- Hanger Port & Starboard
What Spaces are covered by Seawater Sprinkling?
- Science Cargos 1-3
- Forward & Lower GSK
- Dry Stores
Where are the S/W Cross Connects?
FM-> MSW: Main Motor Room Upper Level
FM-> ASW: Boiler Room 2
FM-> ADGSW: ADG Room
ASW <-> MSW: AMRs 2&3
What do the Silver Boxes do?
They start 2 fire pumps and AFFF Pump
What color is the Bravo Flag and what is it for?
Red and its for transfer of hazardous cargo
What color is the Oscar Flag and what is it for?
It is Yellow and Red split diagonally and it is for Man Overboard
What color is the Papa Flag and what is it for?
It is a blue square with a smaller white square in the center and it stands for Personnel Recall
What color is the SOPA Flag and what is it for?
It is a green flag with a white Stripe down the Center and stands for Senior Officer Present
What color is the PREP Pennant and what is it for?
It is a yellow streamer with a green line running the length in the center
What color is the Third Subsitute and what is it for?
It is a white flag with a black stripe running the length of it. It symbolizes the CO is not onboard.
What firefighting equipment is in ADG?
You have 2 PKP Extinguishers on the Port Forward; a hose reel behind them; an AFFF hose reel on the floor by the forward bulkhead; a CO2 Extinguisher by the Air Compressor; another hose reel on the aft stbd; and out in the vestibule you have a reentry hose; and you have CO2 releases outside to the right of the port entryway.
What pipes are made for Colors?
- (10 minutes prior) “Now, colors detail muster on the quarterdeck.”
- (5 minutes prior) “Now, first call, first call to colors; colors detail man your stations.”
- (0800 or sunset) “Now, attention on deck to colors.”
- (10-15 seconds later) “Now, carry on, carry on.”
What pipes are made for Diviong Ops?
(Every 15 minutes) “Now, there are divers working over the side (if there are other ship’s then add “on Healy”). Do not rotate screws, cycle rudders, take suction from or discharge to the sea, blow or vent any tanks, activate sonar or underwater electrical equipment, or open or close any valves without checking with the diving supervisor.”
What Pipes are made made for Fire?
- “Now fire fire fire, class (A/B/C/D) fire has been reported in __________ (compartment number / noun name). All hands in today’s duty section man your inport emergency billets. All non-essential and off-duty personnel muster on the __________ (location).”
What pipes are made for Flooding?
“Now flooding has been reported in ___________ (compartment number / noun name). All hands in today’s duty section man your inport emergency billets. All non-essential and off-duty personnel muster on the __________ (location).”
What pipes is made for Man Aloft?
- (Every 15 minutes) “Now, there is a man working aloft (if there are other ship’s then add “on Healy”). Do not rotate or radiate any electronic equipment. Beware of possible missile hazards in the vicinity of the (mast/stack). Now man aloft.
What pipes are made for Onload or Offload of hazardous materials?
(Initial pipe) “Now the smoking lamp is out throughout the ship due to ________ (fueling, transfer of hazardous cargo,etc).
What pipes are made for smoke?
“Now there has been a report of __________ (color of smoke) smoke in __________ (compartment number / noun name). All hands in today’s duty section man your inport emergency billets. All non-essential and off-duty personnel muster on __________ (location).”
What pipes are made for quarters?
- (At 1255) “Now, officers call, officers call, first call to quarters. Quarters will be held at fair/foul weather parade.”
- (At 1300) “Now, all hands to quarters.”
What pipes are made for Phone Calls?
- (E6 and below) “Now, (Rate/Rank Name) you have a phone call holding on line 1/2/3. (Rate/Rank Name) line 1/2/3
- (E7 and above) “Now, (Rate/Rank Name) it is requested you pick up a phone call holding on line 1/2/3. (Rate/Rank Name) line 1/2/3.
How far out does the Healy need to be for it to be allowed to use main drainage?
What needs to be completed prior to climbing on the Healy?
Man aloft chit
- 0600 Shift the Watch
- 0615 Breakfast
- 0645 Liberty Expires
- 0700 Turn to Ships work
- 0750 Colors detail muster on the quartdeck
- 0755 First Call to Colors
- 0800 Morning Colors
- 1200 Noon Bells
- 1225 Sweepers
- 1255 Officer's call
- 1300 Quarters
- 1800 Evening Meal, SHIFT THE WATCH FROM QUARTERDECK TO ECC
What can't you reveal as due to the privacy act?
- Cannot reveal
- Home address
- Number of dependants
- Social Security Number
- Name of Spouse
What log entries are required for fueling?
- Xxxx COMMENCED ONLOAD OF _________ (FUEL, JP5, LUBE OIL) VIA _______ (BARGE, FUEL TRUCK, ETC), DRAFT FWD 00’00”, DRAFT AFT 00’00”. HOISTED BRAVO FLAG.
- Xxxx SECURED FROM ONLOAD HAVING BUNKERED _______ GALLONS OF _____(DFM NR 2 FUEL, JP5, 9250 OIL, ETC), DRAFT FWD 00’00”, DRAFT AFT 00’00”. HAULED DOWN BRAVO FLAG.
What color and purpose is the kilo flag?
It is Yellow and Blue and symbolizes Man Aloft.
What is the Color and purpose of the Alpha flag?
It is White and Blue diagonal symbolizing divers down.
What do you do in the event of a Fire inport.
- • Fire Alarm Activated – Quarterdeck pipes that a fire alarm has been activated and to
- standby for confirmation then contacts EOW
- • EOW investigates the alarm
- • EOW reports the status to the quarterdeck and the appropriate pipe is made; “Now
- stand down from fire alarm” or “Now fire fire fire, class A/B/C/D fire has been
- reported in compartment __________ (compartment # / noun name). All hands in
- today’s duty section man your inport emergency billets. All off duty and non-
- essential personnel muster on the ________ (location).”
- • EOW takes initial action while the quarterdeck watchstander secures security gate
- and reports along with other duty section personnel to the repair locker for flash
- gear, SCBA’s, and any other equipment needed then to the scene to relieve the EOW
- • EOW reports to ECC when relieved to commence mechanical and electrical
- isolation’s while the duty section takes action either to put the fire out or set
- boundary’s to contain fire until the fire department arrives
- • Simultaneously, the OOD reports to the quarterdeck, contacts the fire department,
- then takes accountability for all personnel checked on board and signed into the
- guest book
- ∙ During the workday ALL PERSONNEL ONBOARD (NOT ON DUTY) shall report
- to the flight deck and establish comms with the OOD on the quarterdeck
- ∙ After the workday ALL PERSONNEL ONBOARD (NOT ON DUTY) shall report
- to the quarterdeck
The Third Substitute is what?
•Third Sub – Black flag with white streamer stripe in the center
- The third sub is flown whenever the CO or acting CO is not onboard.
- ∙The third sub is hoisted at sunrise with the other pennants
- ∙It comes down at sunset (immediately following colors, whether the CO or acting
- CO is aboard or not.)
- ∙Anytime during the day when the CO or acting CO arrives the third sub is hauled
- ∙Anytime during the day when the CO or acting CO departs it is hoisted
- ∙The third sub is always hoisted on the port yardarm, outboard
Where are the Three airflow indicators?
They are outside the Paint Locker; Hazmat Locker; and Bow Thruster Sewage Treatment room
What is the Hydrogen Sulfide alarm panel lights for ?
10 ppm yellow caution
60 ppm red danger
What is the VCT alarm?
It is the loss of suction alarm call the EOW
What are the Ventialtion zones?
1 to 63
63 to 107
107 to Aft