med. term. 7 diagnostic terms.txt
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
what is flutter?
- extremely rapid but regular heart beat
- usually 250-350 bpm
what is arteriosclerotic heart disease (ASHD)?
- condition of the arteries
- thickening of inner lining, loss of elasticity
- able to rupture
- usually in aged or smokers
what is bacterial endocarditis?
a bacterial inflammation that affects the endocardium or heart valves
what is cardiomyopathy?
a general term for disease of the heart
what are congenital anomaly of the heart?
malformations of the heart at birth
what is atrial septal defect (ASD)?
an opening in the septum separating the atria
what is coarcation of the aorta?
- narrowing of the lowering portion of the aorta
- causing less blood flow to the legs
what is patent ductus arteriosus (PDA)?
abnormal opening between the pulmonary artery and the aorta
what is ventricular septal defect (VSD)?
an opening in the septum seperating the ventricles
what is cor pulmonale?
- a condition of enlargement of the right ventricle as a result of a chronic disease with the lungs
- causes congestion within the pulmonary circulation
what is coronary artery disease (CAD)?
- a condition affecting arteries of the heart that reduces the flow of blood to the heart
- caused by atherosclerosis
what is mitral valve prolapse (MVP)?
- a defective cusp of the mitral valve
- causing backflow of blood
what is phlebitis?
inflammation of a vein
what is rheumatic heart disease?
damage to heart muscle and valves by a infectious fever
what is thrombophlebitis?
inflammation of a vein associated with a clot formation
what are varicose veins?
- abnormally swollen, twisted veins with defective valves
- most often in legs
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview