The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
what is arteriosclerosis?
hardening of the arterial walls
what is atherosclerosis?
buildup of fatty substances within the walls of the arteries
what is atheromatous plaque?
a swollen area within the lining of an artery caused by the buildup of fat
What is thrombus?
a blood clot
What is embolus?
a clot caused by air fat or a foreign object carried to the spot
what is stenosis?
condition of narrowing of a part
what is ischemia?
- to hold back blood
- decreased flow
what is infarct?
- to stuff
- death to a localized area due to lack of blood
what is angina pectoris?
chest pain caused by temporary loss of o2 blood to heart muscle
what is an aneurysm?
bulging of the wall in any vessel of muscle
what is claudication?
- to limp
- pain in the limb due to lack of blood supply
- leg fell asleep
what is diaphoresis?
what is a heart murmur?
- abnormal sounds from the heart
- caused by defects in the chambers or valves
what is palpitation?
experience of pounding, skipping, or racing heartbeats
what is vegetation?
- to grow;
- abnormal growth of tissue around a valve
- usually caused by an infection