Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What does [H- Donor] , H+ , H2O do with:
[H- Donor] here can only be LiAlH4 or NaBH4
Donor] , H+
O turns Aldehydes into a Primary Alcohol
Donor] , H+
O turns Ketones into a Secondary Alcohol
Donor] , H+
O turns Esters into a Primary Alcohol AND the -O of the Ester takes with it whatever it was attached to, becoming another separate Alcohol piece
- [H- Donor] , H+ , H2O turns Carboxylic Acids into a Primary Alcohol
What does PCC do?
- PCC turns Alcohols into Functional Groups:
- Primary Alcohols into an Aldehyde
Secondary Alcohols into a Ketone
What does CrO3 , [Strong Acid] do?
- CrO3 , [Strong] Acid turns Alcohols into Functional Groups:
- Primary Alcohols into Carboxylic Acids
Secondary Alcohols into Ketones
What is a Grignard Reagent?
- A Grignard Reagent is an MgBr attached to some series of R groups (ex: CH3CH3MgBr)
What does a Grignard Reagent do?
- Grignard Reagents react with Carbonyls, turning them into an Alcohol AND adding whatever was with the MgBr onto the original carbon that the Carbonyl was attached to
What can Grignard Reagents NOT react with?
- Grignard reagents can NOT react with Carboxylic Acids (the R group attached to the MgBr just gains a Hydrogen in place of the MgBr when it leaves)
How does Alcohol Protection work?
- Alcohol Protection temporarily replaces an alcohol group with a protector (either TMS-Cl or BnCl , Et3N)
What order do alcohols get protected in, in Alcohol Protection reactions?
What are the names of the Alcohol Protectors?
- - Alcohol Protection protects Primary Alcohols > Secondary > Tertiary
- - The Alcohol Protectors are TMS-Cl or BnCl , Et3N)
What can NaBH4 react with?
NaBH4 can react with Carbonyl groups EXCEPT for Carboxyl Groups and Esters
(.. so - in other words - NaBH4 can only react with Aldehydes, Ketones, and Amides then)
What can LiAlH4 react with?
LiAlH4 will react with ALL Carbonyl groups (including Carboxyls and Esters)
What are the Sn1 reagents?
The Sn1 reagents are HCl and HBr
What are the Sn2 reagents?
The Sn2 reagents are PBr3 and SOCl2
What are the E1 reagents?
The E1 reagents are H2SO4 and H3PO4
What are the E2 reagents?
The E2 reagents are POCl3 with Pyridine (these two must be together!)