The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- a. Mass entertainment became part of new mass consumption
- i. Before purchases were limited to bedding, furniture, etc.
- ii. Now, middle and upper class Europeans could purchase and enjoy lots of goods
a. Made possible by improvements in standard of living, the factory system, population growth, expanded transportation systems, urbanization, and modernization of retailing in which standardized merchandise was sold in large volumes
- a. Department stores offered consumers an endless variety of goods in large spaces
- i. Merchandise included shawls, cloaks, bedding, and fabrics, and later, women’s, men’s and children’s clothing, accessories, furniture, rugs, umbrellas, etc.
- ii. Omnibuses carried people throughout Paris, enabling them to travel beyond their neighborhoods to shop
- iii. Advertisements of new products enabled purchase
- a. Advertisements usually for women, but men took part in consumer culture, where they bought alcohol, tobacco, and clothing
- i. Since work and leisure were separated, they needed to expand their wardrobes to include both clothes for work outside the home and clothes for entertaining
- ii. Men also used shaving soaps, sports goods, hair dyes, etc.