Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
1. Cellular telephones are nothing more than sophisticated, ____-______, ________ radios.
1. Full-Duplex, Wireless.
2. The cellular network is known as what type of network?
2. GSM Network.
3. What are the four primary frequency GSM bands?
- - GSM 800
- - GSM 900
- - GSM 1800
- - GSM 1900
4. All GSM bands have an ______ and a ________ band.
4. Uplink and a Downlink.
5. What consists of an uplink and downlink frequency which are offset by 45MHz?
5. Absolute Radio Frequency Channel Number (ARFCN).
6. One frequency from the Uplink band and one frequency from the Downlink band, offset by 45 MHz, form a what?
7. What are the four necessary components that make up a basic GSM Network?
- - Mobile Station (MS)
- - Base Station System (BSS)
- - Mobile Switching Center (MSC)
- - Gateway
8. What is composed of 14 digits (16 digits for IMEISV), plus a single check digit?
8. International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI).
9. An IMSI is composed of 15 digits and can be divided into what two sections?
- - Mobile Country Code (MCC, First 3 digits)
- - Mobile Network Code (MNC, next 2-3 digits)
10. A base station system (BSS) consists of what three primary components?
- - The GSM Air Interface
- - Base Transceiver Station (BTS)
- - Base Station Controller (BSC)
11. What iis an antenna and adjacent controller unit used to send and receive cellular traffic?
11. Base Transceiver Station.
12. The “air interface” between mobile station (MS) and tower (BTS) is referred to as what?
12. Um Interface.
13. What primary frequency bands does GSM operate on?
13. 800 MHz, 900 MHz, 1800 MHz, 1900 MHz.
14. Where is a IMSI found within a cell network?
14. Either on the mobile device’s SIM card, or in the MSC.
15. What are a variety of cell tower configurations?
- - Micro Cell
- - Macro Cell
- - Pico Cell
- - Cell-on-Wheels (COW)
16. What are the three primary methods, or cellular access schemes, used to enable communication?
- –FDMA, Frequency Division Multiple Access
- –TDMA, Time Division Multiple Access
- –CDMA, Code Division Multiple Access
17. Which cellular access scheme is the oldest of the cellular standards and each user is assigned a specific frequency channel?
18. In which cellular access scheme to users share a common ARFCN, but are only allowed to use it for a very short burst of time?
19. During which cellular access scheme is each individual user identified and kept separate by means of a unique code called a pseudo-random noise (PN) code?
20. GSM utilizes both ____ and ____ for TCH allocation and registrations, and is referred to as a Hybrid Access Scheme?
20. FDMA and TDMA.
21. What is made up of the base transceiver stations, base station controllers, and the UM interface?
21. Base Station System (BSS).
22. What occurs when a user moves through the service area, the in-progress call is switched from one cell’s antenna to the
23. What are the two types of Call-Handoffs?
23. Hard and Soft.
24. What is the central coordinator in the cellular system, and contains all pertinent subscriber data (IMSI, IMEI)?
24. The Mobile Service Center (MSC).
25. What are the four primary databases that the MSC is linked to for authentication of communications requests?
- - Home Location Register (HLC)
- - Visitor Location Register (VLC)
- - Equipment Identity Register (EIR)
- - Authentication Center (AuC).
26. Which database stores essential subscriber information?
26. Home Location Register (HLR).
27. Which database stores temporary subscriber information?
27. Visitor Location Register (VLR).
28. Which database verifies whether or not the MS is authorized to access the network?
28. Equipment Identity Register (EIR).
29. Which database stores and sends encryption data to the MS IOT authenticate the user?
29. Authentication Center (AuC).
30. What is the repository of all subscriber information?
30. Home Location Register (HLR).
31. What holds the subscriber identification numbers for the cellular equipment in use on a cellular network?
31. Equipment Identity Register (EIR).
32. To authenticate a registration, the ______________ ______ initiates a calculation in both the network
and the handset.
32. Authentication Center (AuC).
33. What technology is referred to as "third generation" and it currently forms the basis for most cellular networks, including GSM and CDMA?
33. 3G Cellular Technology.
34. Which access scheme does GSM utilize?
34. Hybrid division - FDMA and TDMA.
35. What three pieces of data are sent over the Um interface and needed for authentication to occur?
35. “The Triplets” – RAND, SRES, and Kc.
36. What is the primary limitation for frequency reuse?
36. A frequency cannot be reused if it is shared by that of a neighboring cell.
37. What is used to differentiate users utilizing the same frequency band on a CDMA access scheme?
37. A Pseudo-Random Noise (PN).
38. What are the two basic LRCP Components?
- - Handset
- - Handset Base Station
39. LRCP are able to transmit over how many km?
39. 50 KM.
40. Some LRCP system features contain up to __ individual handsets and has intercom capability.
41. Why are LRCPs not authorized in the United States?
41. High-power and frequency conflicts with public services.
42. What are the three primary satellite communications providers?
- - Iridium
- - Imarsat
- - Thuraya
43. What are the primary satellite communications frequencies?
43. L-Band, C-Band, Ku-Band, Ka-Band.
44. Which satellite network is the only satellite phone network that covers the globe completely?
44. The Iridium.
45. Which satellite network utilizes a base station, or terminal, along with associated handsets, much like LRCP?
45. The Imarsat.
46. What is needed for a Thuraya handset to utilize a GSM network?
46. A roaming agreement between Thuraya and the provider.