The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Insertion of NG tube
- perform hand hygeine
- ID patient under 2 domains and explain the procedure to the patient
- position in high fowlers
- get tape together to secure the tube
- measure from tip of ear to nose to xiphoid process (mark with tape)
- lubricate distal end of tube
- apply clean gloves
- assess gag reflex with tongue blade on uvula
- instruct patient to take sips of water (IF they are not NPO and have a gag relex) and touch chin to chest.
- anchor tentatively
- assess tube placement by aspirating contents and testing pH.
- anchor the tube
- Mark tube below the nares
- keep head of bed above 30 degrees
Irrigation of NG tube
- check for placement by aspirating gastric contents and testing on pH paper.
- Irrigate tube with 30mL of normal saline
- reconnect tube to suction
- with a sump tube instill 10-20mL of air into the vent lumen. (blue tube of the main)
Removal of NG tube
- flush NG tube with 20mL of air and pull out end over end.
- Dispose of equipment properly (Biohazard)
Bolus tube feeding
- verbalize position and tube placement verification
- check residual volume by aspirating gastric content.
- return fluid volume if indicated.
- pinch tubing and attach syringe to nasogastric tube.
- flush with 30mL of water.
- Fill syringe with formula and hod at correct height allowing formula to infuse slowly
- flush with 30mL of water
- clamp end of tube