Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Results of the New Imperialism
- a. 1900: almost all societies of Africa and Asia were under full colonial rule or on point of collapse (China/ Ottomans)
- i. Only some states, like Japan and Thaliland, escaped internal collapse and colonial rule
- a. Result of this was due to good fortune
- i. Thailand escaped because Brits and French thought it was better to make it a buffer state than fight over it
- Ethiopia and Afghanistan survived due to remote location and mountains
- i. Only Japan avoided common fate through a concerted strategy of political and economic reform
- 1. With coming of imperialism, a global economy was finally established, and the domination of Wetern civilization over those of Africa and Asia appeared to be complete
- 2. At the same time, the competition for lands abroad also heightened the existing rivalries among European states
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview