The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Explain the "winner-take-all" system in politics.
It is the reason for the two political parties in America. Someone must get a threshold percentage (set by the respective State - GA 45%) to prevent a runoff.
What three events broke up the "Solid South" in Georgia?
- Civil Rights- identification of Democrats legislation supporting Civil Rights changed party affiliations nationally
- Georgia Population Growth- Georgia grew from 3 million to 10 million between 1960-2000; Northern Republicans and their white, middle class jobs moved to Georgia (but were more fiscal and socially liberal than Southern Democrats
- Income level increase- Southern states like GA, NC, and TX increased income levels because Democratic governors created jobs
Which election signaled a crack in the Solid South in Georgia?
- Barry Goldwater (1964)
- George Wallace
Name some of the powers that the Political parties hold.
- holding primaries to get candidates on the ballot
- adding information on the ballot
- determining their nominee in a primary
- holding caucuses or conventions
- CANNOT set date or determine what ballot looks like!!!
What are the different forms of media? What distinguishes it from "The Press?"
- The Press is JUST NEWSPAPERS
Why does Cox Communications run almost ALL media in Georgia?
- They filter most news in Georgia and there is no competition since the dissemination of the Gwinnett Daily News (owned by NY Times)
- Delivers news of Atlanta local stations to outside markets but restricts AJC to Metro Atlanta.
- Republican Dominance determines what gets covered during campaigns and elections
What are the three types of political culture?
- Moralistic - broad support for the role of politics for promoting a just society; expects people to participate in New England
- Traditionalistic - geared to preserving existing relations; participants are part of the elite who decides for others in the South
- induvidualistic - characterized by active participation based on private activities in the Western States
What are the three types of polling?
- Base Poll - 20 minutes by live persons - likely registered voters from a registered voter list - $20-25,000 to do a 300 completed base poll
- Tracking Poll - 5 minutes tracking voter movement course of campaign measures independent and undecided voters - 50 are called - $3-5,000 a pop - $15,000
- Focus Group - 8-12 people in a room who determines who they are, tells you about mindset of person in that district and ask why they think that way - $8,000 a pop
Which jobs are required for a successful campaign staff?
- Campaign Director - $2,000 a month
- Press Person - speech writing and press personnel - $2,000/month
- General Consultant - $10,000/month
- Web - $500
- Direct Mailer - persuasion pieces- the most targeting you can do - 50-70 cents a piece to mail and address it
- Yard Signs and Billboards - $1,500 each
- Radio Ads - $2.50-$45 outside Atlanta
- Newspaper - in small towns rates are cheap - 1/4 page $125
- Television - $1.75 Million
What is the voting trend concerning gender in Georgia?
- They represent 52% of the voter population in Georgia (only district where male is majority is Downtown Atlanta)
- Women Care for issues concerning: education, safety, healthcare (for them, their parents and children), consumer issues
- Women are turned off by issues concerning: fiscal issues, world affairs, and retirement. Social wedge issues also don't get women to decide votes for you like immigration.
- Black women turnout the most - 1 million registered in Georgia
- The Democrat's dilemma is that no white males turn out to vote (black males drive black percentage down farthest- only 720,000 registered)
What is the definition of Political Culture?
- It describes everything you need to know about an area; an area's social, historical, economic, political beliefs, values and the perceptional persona of an area
- shows you how to govern and interpret what's going on
- you cannot change an area's political culture single-handedly; it has to change overtime