Biology N214 Exam 3
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
The _______ system is responsible for gas
The respiratory tract is divided into ________
& ________ respiratory tracts:
The upper respiratory tract consists of what?
The lower respiratory tract consists of what?
Deals with actual gas exchange
Name 3 of the 5 functions of the respiratory
- exchange; regulation of blood pH, Voice production (vocalization); Protection
- from air-borne hazards: pathogens and irritants; Olfaction
What is the downside of the respiratory system
- must compensate for significant heat and water loss associated with breathing
The conducting division is lined by what
- Respiratory epithelium;
- respiratory mucosa
• Respiratory epithelium contains what?
- Cells (Secrete mucus containing IgA), serous glands (secrete a watery solution
- containing lysozymes that underlays the mucus) and an abundant vascular supply
- (blood supplies both the heat for warming and the water for moistening)
Goblet cells secrete what?
What is the external part of the nasal cavity?
What makes up the posterior nose?
This divides the nasal cavity into right and
Most of the septum is made up of what bone:
- plate of the ethmoid
This plate of the ethmoid separates the nasal
cavity from the cranial (brain) cavity & has holes (foramina) for the
passage of the olfactory nerves back into the brain:
This type of epithelium is found where olfactory
receptors are found:
- Olfactory Epithelium (olfactory
chemoreceptors are not renewable neurons
The floor of the nasal cavity is called the
The anterior part of the palate is what?
Hard Palate (Bony)
The posterior part of the palate is what?
Soft Palate ( Skeletal Muscle)
Failure of the shelves of tissue that form the
palate to fuse in the midline causes what?
opening of the nostrils is also called what?
These hairs, at the nares (opening of the
nostrils) prevent large particles and insects from entering the nose:
Three pairs of ridges create more air turbulence
(causing more collisions between the air and the mucosa) and are called what?
This duct drains tears, which iswhy your nose
runes when you cry
How many pairs of paranasal or nasal sinuses are
there & name them all:
Four;Frontal, sphenoid, ethmoid, and maxilla
This begins at the back of the nasal cavity and
the back of the mouth:
Pharynx or throat
There are three sections of the pharynx, what
- Nasopharynx, Oropharynx, and
The parts of the pharynx that conduct both air and food/liquids do not have
ciliated respiratory mucosa (Passing
food would damage the cilia)
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview