Computer Memory Hierarchy
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Order of pyramid, List according to speed, price, capacity and power state.
- Dynamic random-access memory
-Static random-access memory (does not need to be refreshed)
Types of basic memory
-RAM, SRAM, DRAM
Basic types of memory
- - Devices and components responsible for storing data
- instructions and applications on permanent or temporal basis.
Characteristics of flash memory
- -Durable, fast read speeds, mechanical shock resistance.
- Used as storage in phone.
-Non volatile computer storage chip…
Difference between cache levels
-size and speed
Types of Cache
-Level 1 (L1)
-Level 2 (L2)
-Level 3 (3)
What is the cache?
- -Small fast memory used to copy, store frequently used data
- and instructions.
Memory address registers (MAR)
-Holds location of data and instructions in memory
Memory buffer register
- -Holds data that is being read from and written too memory.
- Basically stores data to and from the memory.
- -Holds data temporarily that is being transmitted from
- peripheral devices.
-Stores all system results after processing.
Program counter (Instruction pointer
(IP)/Instruction address register (IDR))
- -Holds the memory location of the next instruction in the
- queue for execution after the current one is executed.
Index registers (Base register)
- -Hardware component on in CPU, that adds, sometimes
- subtracts a number from an instruction to make it more effective.
Memory Data Address (MDR)
- -Located on CPU, holds data to be stored on storage of
- recent fetched data from storage.
Types of registers
- Memory Data Address
-Memory buffer register
-Memory address register
- -Operation by CPU to display outputs on screen then storing
- -Is interpreting the given instructions, so the CPU will
- understand what the required process is.
- -Is getting instructions given by the user and from the main
- memory for processing.
Specific function of registers
Function of register?
- -Quickly accept, store and transfer data and
- instructions/information that are being used by the CPU in that instance.
- So they are used to process data input by the user.
What are Registers?
-Small set of data holding places on the processor.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview