What is Stage Properties (Qimo) in reference to Bejing Opera?
- Qimo is a general designation for all kinds of stage properties and simple settings used in Beijing Opera performances.
- It comes from the real life experience.
- For example, an actor can practice the scene of galloping the horse simply by using a horsewhip without riding a real horse on stage.
- A bridge is made up of two chairs standing on each side of a table. Storms are realized by performers dancing with umbrellas.
- The imaginary performance skills largely bring to performers the freedom to express more life scenes.