The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Name two Urban Folk Music artist.
- Bob Dylan
- Simon and Garfunkel
Who was Bob Dylan?
- Began singing in Greenwich Village
- Supported by increasing culture and political awareness of baby boomers
- Stood out for
- -Remarkable quality of original songs
- --Poetic lyrics/Use of irony
- -Rough-hewn performance style
- "Went electric" in 1965 at Newport Folk Festival
- His songs were successfully covered by more "pop" friendly success
- Successful albums artist, but not singles artist
Who was Simon and Garfunkel?
- One of the most enduring folk-rock acts
- "The Sound of Silence" was inspired by Dylan's electric success
- Paul Simon later created adventurous "world beat" albums
What was Counterculture?
- Label for innovative, rebellious, radical aspects of 60's musical/political culture
- Rock music was an important part of the definition of "counter culture"
- Developed its own sense of jargon, including long hair, beads, tie-dyes, and embracing "exotic" cultures
- Critiqued values of mainstream
- Associated with liberated sexuality and drug experimentation
What was SGT.PEPPER?
- Beatles album
- At the time most expensive album
- Evoked influence of Indian classical music
- Directly addressed audience as if it were a "live concert"
- Use of innovative studio techniques
- First album they made after deciding quit touring
- Redirecting attention away from singles to the album
- -Track merge together, last track on record does not end
- -Offered a sophisticated cultural critique
What was Psychedelic Rock?
Feature wild imagery, long instrumental improvisation, and associated with counterculture movement.
Name three bandsin San Francisco Music Scene.
- Jefferson Airplane
- Grateful Dead
- Janis Jolin
Who were the Jefferson Airplane?
- First nationally successful band to emerge out of SF scene
- Developed a hard-edged style with emphasis on open forms, instrumental improvisation and visionary lyrics
- Despite anti commercial rhetoric, revived a large advance from RCA
- Lead by Grace Slick
- Use of guitar distortion
Who were the Grateful Dead?
- Lead by Jerry Garcia
- Helped pioneer urban folk music to acid rock
- Best known for live performances
- Known for long, extended jams
- Had a fanatical, devoted following
Who was Janis Joplin?
- Lead singer for Big Brother and Holding Company
- Bold, blues influenced performance styles
- Use of rough rasping tones
- Never crossed over to R&B charts
Name three Guitar Heroes?
- Credence Clearwater Revival
Who was Hendrix?
- Most innovative and original of rock era guitarists
- Began career in R&B bands
- Moved to London in 1966
- Known for flamboyant, sexuality performance style
- Used sound manipulating devices (distortion, wah-wah, etc.)
- Did not cross over on to R&B charts
Who was Clapton?
- Joined bands "Yardbirds," "Cream," and "Derek and the Dominoes" as well as having a successful solo career
- Known for long, extended solos
- Strongly influenced by county blues and Chicago blues
- Focused on instrumental virtuosity and electronic feedback
Who was Credence Clear water?
- Deliberately "old fashioned" Rock and Roll
- Avoided imagery and exotic influences of psychedelic rock
- Known as a "singles" band