Foley Pass Off
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is always step #1!?
- Check order against MAR.
- Double ID patient.
- Check for allergies.
What supplies do you gather for cath insert?
- Hand Hygiene before gathering supplies
- Foley Insertion kit
- An extra pack of sterile gloves if needed
- Loralox syringe for removal of balloon
- Washcloth or towel for removal
- Towel or bath blanket for draping patient legs
- PPE (if needed)
- ID patient!
What do I do when I first walk into patients room?
- Hand Hygiene
- Double ID patient
- Provide patient privacy
- Tell who I am
- Ask how they feel
- Explain the procedure
- Position bedside tray, garbage can, bag for linens,
Starting removal of cath what do I do?
- Don clean gloves
- Empty urine from Foley bag if needed
- Raise bed and position/drape patient (SR down, chux under, and drape)
- Note on the port how many mL should be in balloon (out loud)
- Withdraw solution from catheter balloon with syringe
- Give warning about removing cath
- Pull out smoothly and quickly, catch end of catheter with towel
- discard bag and tubing in trash
- Remove gloves
- Hand Hygiene
How do I set up sterile field for inserting new catheter?
- Cuff outer bag of cath kit and place within reach of work area for disposal of used supplies
- Open Cath Kit, pulling first corner away from self
- Place sterile underpad
- Apply Sterile Gloves
- Organize supplies on the tray; remove plastic from catheter, attch syringe to balloon port, moisten cotton balls with antiseptic solution, lubricate catheter tip 1-2 inches for women, 5-7 inches for men.
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview