Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
Why is it correct to say, from a sociological standpoint, that women are a subordinate group?
. “Women do experience unequal treatment.”
Across historical time and in different countries around the world, are the expected roles of men as contrasted to women basically the same in all societies at all times? In other words, are the social roles of the sexes constant in time and space? Give one example to support your answer.
- The social roles of the sexes have no constants in time or space. In the 1700’s the
- men fulfilled present-day stereotypes of the feminine appearance in their
- display of ornamental dress.”
Briefly, how would one characterize disagreement between functionalists and conflict theorists regarding the matter of role differences between men and women?
- The functionalist believe that the gender role is good for
- the family and the conflict theorists believe that men have over stepped their
- boundaries and have become too powerful.
In a formal sense, where and when was the American feminist movement born?
- American feminist movement was born in upstate New York in a town called Seneca
- Falls in the summer of 1848
According to the 2004 Census Bureau study of 821 occupations the text discusses, in what two occupations did women typically earn more than men?
- materials recovery workers and telecommunications line installers.
What are three factors that can help explain the lag between the laws that prohibit sex discrimination and the reality of the continued existence of sex discrimination?
- of money, weak enforcement powers, occasionally weak commitment to using the
- laws available
How many of the CEOs (Chief Executive Officers) of Fortune 500 companies are women?
few as 12
What was the first institution of higher learning in the U.S. to admit women; and when did this occur? What was the first women’s college in the U.S., and when was it founded?
- In 1833 Oberlin first college of higher learning.
- in 1837 Wellesley became first womans college
In the field of education, what is meant by “Title IX provisions
- to eliminate sexist practices from almost all school systems
Over their lifetimes, do mothers earn more or less than women who are not mothers? Why?
- Mommy tax, the lower salaries women receive over their
- lifetime because they have children.
What percent of counties in the U.S. have at least one provider who is able and willing to perform abortions?
What percent of those who hold high government positions are women?
In the Western hemisphere, what countries are larger than Mexico?
How long did Mexico remain a Spanish colony?
In Mexico, what group is at the top of the color gradient? What percentage of the total Mexican population is represented by this group at the top
When did women in Mexico receive the right to vote?
What are the three stages of Canadian history?
- colonialism, British colonialism, and Canadian nationhood
About what percent of Canada’s population is foreign-born?
What was the total number of slaves imported to Brazil? How does this number compare to the number of slaves brought to the U.S.?
- million 8 times the amount in the US
Historically, how many years ago did the exile of the Jews from Palestine in the Diaspora occur?
2000 years ago
What percents of Israel’s Jews are Israeli-born; European or American; African; and Asian?
As of 2010, what percent of the population of South Africa was White?
What is the poverty rate for Black South Africans? What is this rate for White South Africans?
40% for black south Africans. 4-5% for white south africans
What is a crucial difference between the elderly and other subordinate groups, such as racial/ethnic minority groups or women?
- crucial difference between older people and other subordinate groups, such as
- racial and ethnic minorities or women: all of us who live long will eventually
- assume the ascribed status as being an older person
As of 2050, what percentage of the U.S. population is expected to be elderly?
one in four
In 2011, how many people in the U.S. had a disability
In the U.S., what proportion of working-age people with a disability are unemployed?
In U.S. history, when did homosexuality first become significantly more visible in society?
1920s and 1930s
In 1996, what act did Congress pass that denies federal recognition of same-sex marriages?
- recognition of same sex marriage
What are two broad forms that relations between racial, religious or ethnic groups can take? Which of these two broad forms characterizes a pluralistic society?
- and conflict. Consensus prevails a pluralistic society.