Tips and Tricks
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
Being too direct
- Slow down: Take some deep breaths, all the way down into
- your belly. This will oxygenate your brain, giving you a fighting chance at
- thinking rationally. Ground yourself in the present moment. Sure, you have lots
- to do and think about, but this moment is all you have. Make it count by paying
- attention to it.
- Stop and listen: Stop talking and listen to the individual
- you are speaking to. Face them, look them in the eye and tune in to what they
- are saying. Honestly – this is the most important thing you can learn to do. I
- have seen better listening take care of the overly direct style almost single
- Observe yourself: With practice, you can learn to pay
- attention to your reactions in the moment and still be present with the person
- you are speaking to. Learn to recognize the emotional triggers that may make
- your tone too insistent, harsh, rushed or abrupt. When you feel those triggers
- coming on, you know its time to slow down and breathe.
- Observe them: Pay attention to the reactions others have
- when you are communicating with them. Do you observe fear or engagement? Have
- you shut them down or are they conversing with you? Put some warmth in your tone
- and slow your pace so that they will speak up.
- Put yourself in their shoes: A little bit of empathy can go
- a long way in avoiding being too blunt. Think about how you might feel if
- someone were being too blunt in their conversation with you. Dial it back by
- asking them a question to invite them back into the conversation.
- You can still be honest and direct without crossing the line into bluntness
- and shutting others down. Your effectiveness as a leader may depend on dialing
- back your overly direct style.
- 1 why is the change necessary
- 2 why make the change now
- 3 whats wrong with the way we are doing it now
- 4 what will happen if we do not change
keys are effective communication, exec sponsorship, coaching by manger / supervisor and ready access to information
Developing a team
important to develop team concepts prior to bringing them together
communication is key
- 1 Ask questions and listen for feedback
- 2 Review feedback and clarify
- 3 Develop objectives that are mutually beneficial
- 4. Set expectations
- 5. Reinforce / reward positive behavior
What are the 3 to 5 metrics you are currently accountable for?
How are you doing compared to how you could be doing
What factors are influencing your results
What are you doing to address these factors
When do you expect to see results
1. metrics - weekly EOM meetings, Resolution description, past due and time documentation
2. We are improving to some degree with minimum effort
3. Buy in for EOM and the true meaning of the program. Feedback system is not functioning properly. Lack long term goals
4. Developing internal leadership with unit members. Asking for their ideas on how to move forward.
5. Results will start improving in one to two months.
Questions to ask at end of interview
1. State Farm is in a position of growth right now, how does this impact the ISCs? We have a certain capacity for data and it appears our appetite for more data is increasing daily. UC and other processes are heavily invested in the computer systems.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview