Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
1. I am the true vine,and my Father is the gardener. 2. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful.
Vine - A single vine supports numerous branches and bears many grapes (fruit).
The Old Testament, grapes symbolized Israel's Irael's fruitfulness in doing god's work on earth.
In the passover meal, the fruit of the vine symbolized God's goodness to his people.
Jesus Christ is the vine, and God is the gardener who cares for the branches to make them fruitful.
Example of a farmer, a gardener, grandma, parenting.
The fruitul are the true believers of Christ who by their living union with Christ produce more fruit.
The unproductive are those who turn back from following Christ after making a commitment. They will be separated from the vine. The unproductive followers are as good as a dead vine and will be cut off and tossed aside.
In verse 2 Jesus makes a distinction between two kinds of pruning...
Ask who have those type of people in their life.
- Cutting off and cutting back...fruitful branches are cut back to promote growth. In other words, sometimes God's discipline us to stregthen our character and our faith.
- Branches that don't bear fruit at all are cut off at the trunk not only because they are worthless but because they often infect the rest of the vine. People who don't bear fruit for God or who try to block the efforts of God's followers will be cut off from his life giving power
3. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. 4. Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.
What can wash away my sins...
Have you ever seen a branch that has been broken from a tree...
Even if you took that branched and watered it, it still would die because it needs nourishing from the roots
5 “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. 6. If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.
What kind of fruit will we bear if we remain in him...Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control. Galatians 5:22-23
7. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8. This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.
God is glorified when you produce fruit. He even tells you that if you stay connected to him and get his words down into your heart he will give you whatever you want.
9. “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. 10. If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love.
Let's talk about Jesus Love...AGAPE
This “agape love” is like grace, a free gift for others which is undeserved or unearned or unmerited. It is a free gift for those in need.
Circle the word, “keep.” Again Jesus asks us to keep his commandments. When you keep the commandments of Jesus, you remain/live in his love