20th Century US History
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Alfred Thayer Mahan
Wrote "The Importance of Seapower on History," which was read by Teddy Roosevelt and influenced Imperialism and the construction of the Panama Canal.
Prerequisites for Seapower
- 1: A productive domestic economy
- 2: foreign commerce
- 3: A strong merchant marine
- 4: A navy to defend trade routes
- 5: colonies for raw materials/markets and navy bases
- 1: Exploded in Havana Harbor
- 2: Was blamed on Spanish mine
- 3: Reason U.S. went to war with Cuba
- 4: Was later found to be caused by engine room accident
America and the Philippines
- 1: U.S. wanted to annex Philippines
- 2: Many were against it's acquisition
- 3: McKinley wanted to "civilize" the Filipinos
- 4: Filipino resistance led to war (1898-1902)
- 5: America won the Philippines
How did Roosevelt acquire the Panama Canal?
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview