Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
A New Kind of Warfare
- a. Airplanes appeared (1915), first to spot enemy, but then to attack and communicateà fights for air control
- i. First: pilots fired at each other with handheld pistols, but later machine guns mounted on noses of planes
- b. Germans also used giant airships to bomb London and e. England
- i. Germany’s enemies found that zeppelins (filled with H gas) became raging infernos when hit by antiaircraft guns
- i. First was Brit model used caterpillar tracks, allowing movement over rough land
- 1. Had mounted guns and could attack enemy machine-gun positions and enemy infantry
- ii. First ones not effective until British Mark V model in 1918
- 1. Now can be used in large numbers and coordinated with infantry and artillery
- a. Good for pushing the enemy back
i. WWII: lightning attacks depended on tank columns and massive air powerà cut across battle lines and encircle entire armies
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview