SUST 2001 - Introducing Terms
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What was the 1972 Stockholm Conference?
This Conference (known as the UN Conference on the Human Environment, is considered to be the launch of global environmental politics, and is often cited as the key political event following the first Earth Day in 1970. The Stockholm conference led to the creation of the United Nations Environment Program and provided the institutional foundation for Multilateral Environmental Agreements, including the Rio Summit (1992) and the Rio + 20 (2012), which are considered to the legal backbone for international environmental governance
What was the 1992 Rio Conference?
- Launch of the "Rio Conventions"
- --> CBD, UNFCCC, UNCCD
- Also known as the "Earth Summit"
What was the 2002 World Summit on Sustainable Development?
- Resulted in the Johannesburg Declaration
- Mostly a letdown on environmental negotiations
- George W. Bush did not attend
What was the significance of the 2012 UN Conference on Sustainable Development?
- Focus on "green economy" and market based approaches
- Voluntary commitments
- Modest outcomes from the conference
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview