Religious Studies - Social Responisibility
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Why may a non-religious person reject genetic engineering?
- Its new technology so nobody knows the long term implications
- It reduces the natural gene pool
- It could be dangerous in the wrong hands
- Who determines what is genetically desirable
Reasons why Christians may be against genetic engineering
- It is unnatural
- It is playing God as only he can give and take life - 'lord gives and lord takes away'
- Life begins at contraception and so meddling with genes is wrong
- Destruction of embryos is murder
- Denies the uniqueness of human life
Why may a non-religious person be for genetic engineering?
- Allows for infertile couples to have children
- Can cure diseases
- Can greatly reduce the chances of children being born with genetic disorders
- Embryo's cannot feel pain
Reasons that Christians may be for genetic engineering
- Jesus was a healer
- Golden rule, if that was me I would want to be treated
- Its a loving act -'love thy neighbour'
- Christians should 'be fruitful and multiply' - allows infertile couples to have children
- 'Thou shalt not kill', if we can prevent a death then we should
- God has given us the resources to do genetic engineering so we should use them
Why is it important to take part in democratic process'?
- People fought and died for the vote and we shouldn't let it be in vain
- Its a chance to have your say and make your opinion heard
- Politics effects everyone's and so you can have a positive effect on another's life
What are human rights?
- Moral and legal freedoms due to every human
- Lay down a minimum quality of life for everyone
- Right to a primary education, a family, religious views, speech, life and protection
- Some countries don't accept them as they see it a westernisation
- Some rights are restricted e.g. freedom of speach
What are the moral duties of a Christian and why do they believe this?
- Show respect to God and one another - Ten Commandments
- Christians should think of others - the Golden Rule
- Jesus said that those who help the poor are helping him and God
- Parable of the Sheep and Goats
Four ways that Christians make moral decisions and why
- BibleInspired by God and could be seen as his word
- Golden Rule and Ten Commandments
- Its important and should be believed in
- ChurchGeneral Synod come sup with the rules
- Pope is infallible and so what he says should be followed
- Church is the body of Christ
- ConscienceIt is the voice of God
- Its a sin to go against it
- Often used in conjunction with Church or Bible
- Tells you what is right and what is wrong
- Situation EthicsIts the most loving thing and Jesus taught us to do the most loving thing
- Each situation is individual and so can't follow a certain set of rules
- The Golden Rule
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview