The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Four Christian beliefs about forgiveness
- Forgiveness of sins come from the death of Jesus on the cross
- 'love thy enemy'
- Jesus forgave those who killed him - 'father forgive them'
- St Paul said that we should try to live in peace with everyone
What are the religious attitudes to bullying?
- It's violence with a just cause and so a sin
- Humans are individuals and so all precious to God
- Its our duty to protect the weaker people, its God's wish
- Jesus actively supported the weak
- 'love thy neighbour'
Work of the UN
- League of Nations set the UN up after WW1 to promote peace however it wasn't accepted and failed to work
- There are now 192 members
- The aim: to gain world peace and to end all wars
- At the moment there are 15 peace keeping missions happening around the world
Why may Muslims agree with a war?
- The Qur'an said the Muslims should fight back if they are attacked
- Muhammad* fought in wars
- 'anyone who dies fighting a just war will go to heaven'
- Jihad is seen as the sixth pillar of Islam
What are the Islamic rules on war?
- There is no pacifism
- Jihad (struggle in the name of Islam) and Islam (peace)
- Must follow the rules of a Just War
- Qur'an says that Muslims must fight if they are attacked
Four causes of conflict in families
- People breaking the rules or not meeting expectations
- How the children should be brought up
- Mixed faith marriages, e.g. festivals clashing
Four Muslim beliefs about forgiveness
- Allah is merciful and so Muslims should also be forgiving
- Forgiving is one of Allah's 99 names
- Allah will give punishment and he is merciful
- Qur'an says to forgive and that is the word of Allah
What defines a Just War?
- Declared by Proper Authority
- Its for a Just Cause
- Its fought with the Right Intentions
- Its a Last Resort
- Its fought Proportionally
- Winning must be Possible
- Fought with a Just Method
Four reasons why some Christians will fight a Just War
- It follows the rules of a Just War
- St Paul said to obey the orders of the government
- Jesus wasn't against armies and soldiers
- God instigates wars and takes side in the Old Testament
Four reasons why some Christians are Pacifists
- Church leaders said the Christians should not fight in wars
- 'love thy enemies'
- Peace will only come if there is now war
- The ten commandments
- Jesus said - 'Blessed are the peacemakers'