Humanities Chapter 20
Card Set Information
Humanities Chapter 20
Peoples Cultures Africia
Chapter 20 Questions and Answers
1. What is meant by “animist beliefs”?
)The use of rituals and ceremonies to control the natural world
Aroundthe year C.E. 1000, which African kingdom was probably the world’s mostimportant gold producer?
b) The Kingdom of Ghana
.What West African kingdom began to grow in power as the kingdom of Ghanadeclined?
)The Kingdom of Benin
Which African kingdom flourished in the 1300s, 1400s, and early 1500s?
)The Kingdom of Zimbabwe
.What position was held by the “Oba” of Benin?
What is the name of the greatest stone ruins yet found in southern Africa?
.During the Middle Ages, what new religion was introduced into sub-Saharan Africa?
. What language was used in early African literature?
9. What language influenced Swahili?
10. Who was the most important writer and thinker of twentieth-century Senegal?
b) Leopold Senghor
. Who, in 1986, was the first African to receive the Nobel prize for literature?
c) Wole Soyinka
12. What is the subject of Mofolo’s Chaka?
TheZulu king Shaka
13. Why was Mofolo’s Chaka not published until 1925?
Themissionary press refused to publish it
14. What political position did Leopold Senghor hold from 1960 until his retirement in 1980?
d) President of Senegal
15. What was the title of Chinua Achebe’s first book (published in 1948)?
a) Things Fall Apart
16. What was the source of the title Things Fall Apart?
c) A line from a poem of W.B.Yeats
17. What is generally considered to be the both the first novel (1906) by an African and the first written in an African language?
b) Traveler of the East
8. Why was Achebe criticized for writing in English?
)It seemed a capitulation to English colonialism
9. What was Achebe’s defense for writing in English?
a) It could reach the largest audience
20. What has been the primary function of traditional African art?
b) For social and ritual purposes
21. Why until recently would the idea of a museum or gallery be alien to African art?
c) Art was considered functional rather than purely aesthetic
22. How have themes of colonization and the impact of the West become integrated in African art?
b) It incorporates elements of colonial and traditional African culture
23. What type of African art was used to transform or to conceal identities?
b) Highly stylized masks
24. What great twentieth-century artist was greatly influenced by the art of African masks?
Whatimportant type of American music derives ultimately from the African ancestorsof African-Americans?