Home Economics - Special Diets
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Name the two types of vegetarianism
1. Vegans are strict vegetarians who only eat fruit, vegetables, nuts and cereals
2. Lactovegetarians do not eat meat or fish but do eat animal products such as milk, cheese and eggs
State the reasons why a person may become a vegetarian
1. It is healthier
2. Religious reasons
3. Moral reasons - thinks its wrong
List five factors associated with coronary heart disease
1. High fat diet
4. Drinking alot of alcohol
Suggest five ways of reducing fat in the diet
1. Use low fat products
2. Bake, grill or boil instead of frying
3. Use Flora instead of margarine
4. Eat plenty of fruit and vegetables
5. Eat chicken and fish instead of fatty red meat
What is the RDA for salt?
5 grams per day
Suggest three ways of reducing salt in the diet
1. Do not add salt when cooking
2. Flavour foods with herbs and spices instead of salt
3. Do not eat foods high in salt eg. rashers
State two advantages of a high fibre diet
1. It prevents constipation
2. It prevents colon cancer
This is when a person is 20% or more above the normal weight for their height and build
What are the main causes of obesity?
2. Lack of exercise
List four problems associated with obesity
2. Heart attacks
3. High blood pressure
What do the letters BMI stand for?
Body Mass Index is a measure of body fat based on height and weight
What is coeliac disease?
This is when a person cannot break down gluten in their diet
What is diabetes?
This is when the pancrease does not produce any insulin or enough insulin for the body
Describe the two types of diabetes
1. Type 1 diabetes - pancreas does not produce insulin. Have to take injections
2. Type 2 diabetes - pancrease does not make enough insulin. Can be controlled by diet and exercise
State three dietary guidelines for diabetics
1. Eat regularly
2. Use artifical sweeteners
3. Eat high fibre foods as they keep you fuller for longer
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview