1. What is the purpose of the proton gradient? (2)
2. What is the purpose of F0? Of F1?
3.How does the energy reaction profile of ATP synthesis to for from the energy profile of other reactions?
4. How many different confirmations does each Beta subunit at ATP synthase have? What are they?
5. What is crucial to the mechanism of the complex?
1. (1) Driving force for ATP synthesis (2) Promotes release of ATP (despite high binding affinity to ATP synthase)
2. F0 is where H+ enters and it spins around, F1 catalyzes ATP synthesis
3. In most rxns, formation of product is hard part. In ATP synthesis, releasing ATP is the hard part.
4. 3: B-empty, B-ADP, and B-ATP
5. The difference in nucleotide binding of the three different B subunit conformations!