Home Economics - Soups and Sauces
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
How are soups classified?
- 1. Thick soup - There are two types
- Puréed soup eg. farmhouse vegetable soup
- Thickened soup eg. potato and leak soup
- 2. Thin soup - There are two types
- Clear soup eg. consommé
- Broth eg. chicken broth
List five characteristics of a good soup
1. Is made with a fresh well flavoured stock
2. Tastes of its main ingredient
3. Is piping hot
4. Has no grease floating on top
5. Has a good colour
Suggest two ways a soup may be thickened
1. Add flour or cornflour with cold water
2. Add barley, rice or pasta
Suggest three ways a soup may be garnished
3. Swirl of cream
List four different classes of sauces and give an example from each class
1. Roux based sauce eg. white sauce
2. Fruit purée sauce eg. cranberry sauce
3. Egg based sauce eg. egg custard
4. Cold sauce eg. mint sauce
What sauce should be served with beef?
What sauce should be served with pork?
What sauce should be served with lamb?
What sauce should be served with turkey?
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview