Test Day 1 - Mod 1-4

The flashcards below were created by user bwallis on FreezingBlue Flashcards.

  1. Which gel is applied to inner thighs?
  2. Both available gel testosterone formulations received black box warnings_______in May 2009.
  3. Testopel is the first only FDA approved long-acting testosterone therapy on the market.
  4. Testopel is inserted via trocar into the deep muscle tissue of the gluteal region.
    False - subcutaneous fat
  5. Deep intramuscular injections are associated with spikes in testosterone blood levels after ___ days causing a rollercoaster effect and must be given approximately every____.
    2-3 days, 2 weeks
  6. Testim has an ingredient that serves as a penetration enhancer (pentadecalactone) which causes______.
    an unpleasant musky odor
  7. The hypothalamus produces _____ which causes the pituitary gland to release _____.
    GnRH - Gonadtropin Leutinizing Hormone
  8. Testopel is administered once every ____ in a fast and simple in-office procedure.
    4 - 6 months
  9. The leydig cells located in the _____ respond to LH by producing 5-10 g of ______ per day.
    Testes, Testosterone
  10. The typical dose for Androgel and Testim is
    5-10g per day
  11. The normal range for total testosterone in the blood is _____
    300 - 1000 ng/dl
  12. As men age, sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG) _____ which decreases free ______.
    increases, testosterone
  13. 30% of circulating testosterone is tightly bound to ______ which leaves 70% free to act.
  14. What is polycythemia (aka erythrocytosis)?
    Increased blood cell count
  15. Select all gel/solutions available in 2% concentrations
    • Fortesta
    • Axiron
  16. Under what circumstance could a man have a normal level of total testosterone but still be hypogonadal?
    He has high SHBG
  17. All of the following are symptoms of Low T with the exception of _____.

    lack of energy
    decreases bone density
    decrease in vision
    Decrease in vision
  18. Which gel/solutions do patients have a 16.1% incidence of skin reactions?
  19. Select all of the following that are true about Testopel on the PI
    Testopel pellets consist of crystalline testosterone and when implanted subcutaneously they slowly release the hormone for a long acting androgenic effect

    Testopel is contraindicated in patients with carcinomas of the breast  or with known or suspected carcinomas of the prostate

    Testopel is supplied with one pellet per vial in boxes of 10 and 100
  20. Select all of the symptoms below that can be used to diagnose low T.

    Decreased Libido
    Increase in body fat
    Decrease in balance in balance/agility
    • Decreased Libido
    • ED
    • Increase in body fat
    • Fatigue
    • Gynecomastia
  21. The HPG axis refers to which of the following?
    Hypothalamus, pituitary, gonadal axis
  22. Although 1 in 5 men over the age of ____ have low T, less than 10% are treated.
  23. In the dosing and administration section, comparing Testopel pellets to IM testosterone proprianate the PI recommends what conversion?
    2 75mg pellets for each 25mg of IM Testosterone proprianate require weekly
  24. Compounding pharmacies are allowed by law to make large batches of compounded testosterone products which allows guaranteed consistency.
  25. Which gel/solution requires the use of a separate applicator to apply the medication to the underarms?
Card Set:
Test Day 1 - Mod 1-4
2013-04-17 01:43:16

Testopel Home Study Test 1
Show Answers: