The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
8 characteristics of life:
- Metabolise (autotroph/heterotroph)
- Reproduce (asexual - binary fission, budding, mutation/sexual)
- Respire (ectotherm/endotherm)
- Growth (mitosis)
- Excrete (excretion/egestion)
- Stimuli (irritability)
- Move (locomotion)
List the components of the living condition.
Organelle - membrane bound subdivision of a cell, specialized for a specific function.
Cell - basic unit of living things.
Tissue - group of similar cells with specialization for a particular function.
Organ - group of tissues bound together to perform a particular function.
Organ system - group of organs working together to perform a particular function.
Organism - a living thing.
Calculating linear magnification.
Magnification = actual size of scale bar/actual size of scale bar
Actual size object = size of image/magnification
- - Contents of nucleus are called nucleoplasm.
- - Nucleus controls cell activity through DNA.
- - Directs protein synthesis and cell division.
- - Nucleus surrounded by double membrane.
- - Contains nucleolus - composed of proteins,
- DNA, RNA which produce ribosomes.
Network of membrane bound sacks (cisternae).
Smooth ER - synthesis of lipids, steroids and transport of materials in cell and between cells. Deoxifies drugs and some metabolites.
- Rough ER - ribosomes on membrane surface which are involved in synthesis of proteins. Transport of proteins occurs in cisternae.
- - Bound by double membrane.
- - Inner membrane folded into cristae, which increases surface area for attachment of enzymes.- Membranes enclose a matrix cristae which provides different sites for various stages of aerobic respiration and production of ATP.
- - Contain mitochondrial DNA and ribosomes which control enzyme production and allow replication.