The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Skeletal system consists of....
- Bone (osseous)
Purpose of Skeletal System
- Support and protection of soft tissue
- Source of nutrients and blood constituents
- Rigid levers for movement
Skull, vertebra, rib cage
Limbs and respective girdles
- Epiphyses,pl. Epiphises, s.
- Articular Cartilage
- Medullary/Marrow Cavity
Type of Bone
- Compact: Dense, supportive, outside of bone
- Cancellous/Spongy: Less dense, strength against stresses
Main portion of long bone
Ends of bone. Covered in cartilage for reduced friction and impact absorption
Semirigid form of connective tissure
- Memebrane covering bone.
- Growth, repair and nutrition
- Ligament and tendon attachment
- Diaphysis with medullary canal
- i.e. humerus
- Small and think
- i.e. carpals
- Shaped like sesame seeds.
- In joint capsules and tendons
- I.e. Patella
- Articular Joint
- Synovial fuild: lubrication
- Synovial Membrane: produce fluid
- Ligament: Intrinsic/Extrinsic, outer support