Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- a. japanese carrier-based aircraft attacked US at Pearl Harbor; the same day, other units assaulted Phillipines and advanced towards the Brit Malaya
- b. next day, US declares war on Japanà Hitler wars US
Japan invades Dutch East Indies
- a. Japan invades Dutch East Indies and occupies islands despite fierce resistance; eventually, Japan controlled most of Pacific
- Tokyo declared creation of Great east Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere, encompassing entire region under Japanese tutelage, and announced ints intention to liberate colonial areas of SE Asia fro Western colonial rule
At this poiint
1. at this point, Japan needed resources of region for its war machine and placed countries under its rule
- a. Japanese leaders wanted strike at American bases to destroy US Fleet and cause Roosevelt to allow Japan domination
- i. Americans were underestimated
- 1. Pearl Harbor galvanized American opinion and won support for Roosevelt’s war policy
- 2. US joined European nations and China in effort to defeat Japan
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview