5 Medieval Christian Thinkers
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Francis of Assisi
- Traveling friar (religious member)
- helped poor
- open minded
- cultural inheritor of Sophists
- fed fanatical elements of church
- torture to agree (from crusades)
- believe in extreme celibacy (thinking is as bad as doing)
Pope Gregory VII (Hildebrand)
- codified laws-
- asserted church power over monarchy
- great organizer
Humbert of Silva Candida
- moved papal selection out of secular hands
- wrote against Simony (buying & selling of church offices)
Joachim of Fiore
"the papacy is the anti-christ"
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview