Mammalian Endocrine System pt. 2
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Gonads (ovaries and testes):
- steroid hormones: androgens, estrogens and progestins in differing proportions
- testosterone is primary androgen
- - stim. development and maintenance of male reproductive system and secondary sex characteristics.
- Estradiol is the primary estrogen.
- - Maintain female reproductive system and stimulate secondary sex characteristics
- include progesterone
- - preparing and maintaining uterus lining.
- - regulated by gonadotropins FSH and LH, which are regulated by gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH).
- Melatonin (modified amino acid) participates in regulation of circadian cycles.
- - Specifically, causes one to become tired.
- - Best antioxidant and free radical scavenger.
More than __ hormones identified in humans.
Hormones grouped into __ according to similarities in chemical structure:
- 3 classes
- 1) Polypeptide, Protein, Glycoprotein hormones
2) Those derived from Tyrosine.
3) Steroids hormones
homeostasis, reproduction, development and behavior
peptide hormone secreted by specialized neurons stimulates egg laying while inhibiting feeding and locomotion
All arthropods have ___.
extensive endocrine systems
secreted by prothoracic glands; triggers molting and development of adult characteristics and metamorphosis
stimulates production of ecdysone. Resembles a releasing hormone in vertebrate system
secreted by corpora allata; promotes retention of larval characteristics
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview