computer tech study guide
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
Before using recovery tools, what system recovery methods should you
attempt when you are unable to boot the computer?
- before using recovery
- tools, try other methods to resolve the problem
- Removing problematic hardware or software
- Updating drivers, applications, and operating
- system files
- Booting using the Last Known Good boot option
- (if the problem is keeping you from logging
- Booting into Safe Mode to disable devices
- or roll back drivers
what happens when you use a system restore point?
- using a restore point:
- System changes made since the restore point
- was taken are undone. Applications,
- drivers, and patches will no longer
- be applied.
- User data is not affected; any files you
- have changed will still remain.
how do you perform a System Restore Point?
- From within Windows, click Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System
- On Windows Vista/7, if you cannot boot at
- all, boot the computer from the installation
- disc and repair the installation. Choose
- System Restore as the option to use.
You want to perform a System restore point, but are unable to boot normally, what is your best option?
If you cannot boot normally, boot into Safe mode and start System Restore from there...(duh)
When booting from the installation disc, what steps does the repair process do?
- -Inspects and repairs the boot sector
- -Verifies that Windows boot files exist and
- are correctly configured
- -Compares the checksum for all Windows system
- files to make sure they match what's
- on the installation disc
- (extra info:In Windows 2000/XP, you can choose
- a Fast
- Repair which performs the checks
- or a manual repair to see the progress
- each step. With Windows Vista/7,
- the Startup
- Repair option performs these checks
- repairs) automatically.)
what is the Recovery console command line utility used for?
- Boot from the installation disc and choose
- the repair option. On Windows 7/Vista, you
- will be given a menu of repair options; choose
- the command prompt option.
How do you start/run the recovery console on windows Vista/7
Boot from the installation disc and choose the repair option.On Windows 7/Vista, you will be given a menu of repair options; choose the command prompt option.
How do you start/run the recovery console on windows 2000/XP?
On Windows 2000/XP, install the Recovery Console by using the winnt32.exe /cmdcons command from the installation disc. The Recovery Console is then available during boot from the boot menu without using the installation disc.
What does ERD, and ASR stand for?
Emergency Repair disk, and Automated Repair Disk
What can you do if you are unable to repair the existing OS installation?
you can restore your system using Emergency Repair Disk (ERD) for Windows 2000, Automated System Recovery (ASR) for Windows XP, or Complete PC Restore for Windows Vista/7.
What happens during the restoration process as opposed to ERD/ASR?
- The restore process reformats (or erases) hard drives, destroying all existing data.
- ERD/ASR only restores the operating system; you will need to restore all user data following the ERD/ASR process.
- ERD/ASR restores disk configuration information, which could result in a loss of data on all disks in the system.
- For ESD/ASR, you will need the Windows installation disc, the backup set, and the ERD/ASR diskette that was created for that system (you cannot use a diskette that was created for a different system). Insert the diskette only when instructed by the recovery process.
Complete PC restore on Windows Vista/7 restores what volumes of a backup?
all of the volumes you selected during the backup, including all user data on those volumes. You cannot restore individual files from a complete PC backup.
How can you begin the restore process for ERD?
- you can start the restore from within Windows, or by booting to the installation disc.
- For ERD, choose the repair option and select the emergency repair process.
How can you start the repair process for ASR?
- You can start the restore from within Windows, or by booting to the installation disc.
- For ASR, press F2 when prompted during the initialization process to start the recovery process.
How can you start a complete System Restore?
For System Restore, choose the repair option and then choose Windows Complete PC Restore.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview