Ap English Symbols
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
blood, sacrifice, disorder, sunrise, fire, emotion
Stability, pluralism (reproduction)
breed from corruption and decay; carry diseases; associated with Devil; pseudo men of good faith
personality sick person projected onto toy
- Inexperience, hope, new life, immaturity, mediates between hot and cold
Evil, wildness, outcasts of society
Intellectual perception. Right: sun (present and future). Left: moon (past)
wholeness, unity of one, womb
a return to the primary state
Represents certain male powers; intimate connection with its owner
- Tranquil, peace; associated with truth.
link between heaven and Earth; freedom
Urges beyond control of conscious mind.
- German culture: good luck
- Everywhere else: ignorance, gluttony, lust, selfishness.
womanhood; marital happiness; metamorphosis; human cycle of life and death
Strength and virtue; the essential element; essence of creation
Knowledge and wisdom; the universe
The medium of life and the principle of procreation. Blood spilled in sacrifice brings fertility.
Symbol of prosperity and plenty
Love and death. Birth, marriage, and death all occur in the bed
The warrior. Power of the underworld and dangerous aspect of the unconscious. Cruelty and brutality.
Strength, power, help, and protection. The instrument of justice.
Industriousness and the organized community.
The lowest instinctive levels of the subconscious.
The earth's eye, through which inhabitants of the underworld are able to gaze upon humans, plants, and so on.
Soul and libido. The lower psyche. Portion of the human being that humans have the least control over.
Death and the Devil.
Source of light, heath, and life. Seen as what makes fertile (father principle) and also what burns up and kills. Drought and the destroyer.
- -Life developing and rising to the heavens.
- -The relationship between heaven and earth.
- -Symbol of the increasing power of the monarch.
Semen; brings fertility; symbol of wisdom.
- Fertility, death, and renewal.
- -Flowing of time into eternity.
- -Crossing the river: overcoming an obstacle
Source of life and vehicle of cleansing. Contains all that is potential and unshaped. Fertility, purity, and wisdom. Both life and death. Creator and destroyer. Symbol of unconscious and unconscious energy; formless powers of the soul; unrecognized motivation.
Plenty, fertility, knowledge, and immortality.
Passions (love and hate). Symbol of destruction. Symbol of sex.
The cycle of birth or rebirth. Life and fertility. Symbols of marriage.
Carrier of life and death. Unconscious psychosis and the onrush of desire.
- Right of ownership. Symbol of the traveler. Removing one's shoes: step towards intimacy. Shoes are a sign that the individual is his/her own master, responsible for his/her own actions.
- -Symbol of death b/c the dead no longer need their shoes.
- -Symbol of freedom.
The head and thought. Identity. To wear a diff hat is to assume a diff set of responsibilities.
The cyclical character of all being. The oneness of life.
The soul separated from its divine source and yearning to return to it.
Male qualities like strength and virtue. Considered the developing place of the soul. Cutting the hair of an animal symbolizes that it's doomed to death.
Power and everlastingness which no earth-dweller can attain.
- Those complexities which entangle the subject's internal and external life and the meshes of which it is so difficult to loosen and unravel.
- -Used to gather up mankind and bring the just into the Kingdom of Heaven.
Depiction of the human individual. Symbol of physical death.
- Dependence, change, growth. Passing time. The moon was the first thing to die since it vanishes every lunar month for three days.
- -Symbol of knowledge acquired logically and in graduated stages. Knowledge acquired through reflection.
- -Mother (sun: father).
A group as a whole in joint action and common purpose. The perpetual birth; the ceaseless flow of life giving energy.
- Associated with death. Guide of the underworld. Symbol of death and hell.
- -Cultural hero. Possess healing powers. Symbol of sexual potency.
Carried concept of basic duality. The principle of motion. Expression of death and life.
Links the creator's power to what it has created.
- Ignorance of the real state of things; denial of the obvious and hence madness, stupidity, and irresponsibility.
- -Ignore the deceitful shows of this world and know its secret reality.
Manhood, bravery, and wisdom.
- Higher properties of the soul; the bounds of human development and the ability of mankind to reach the peak of its development.
- -Represent goals.
The future and simplicity.
Bind and isolate. Master and slave. Woman submits here own free will. Marriage rings: bride and groom are both master and slave of each other.
- -Color of purity, innocence, timelessness.
- -Condemned people wear white to symbolize submission and surrender.
- -Death, terror, supernatural, blinding truth of a mystery.
- Symbol of the soul.
- -The soul descending to the underworld.
- -Materialization of the soul as it leaves the body.
Implies a harmony between body and soul.
Protection; elegance; display of wealth; attracts attention.
Earthly paradise; Where nature is restored to its original state and invites humans to restore to their natural states.
- -Undifferentiated formlessness.
- -Universal spirit.
- -Unconscious (lethal or regenerative).
- -Image simultaneously of death and life.
- -Spiritual mystery/infinity.
- To have one's hair cut by an old man carries with it a sense of dependence, of making oneself his ward.
- -Cutting women's hair symbolizes their surrender.
- -Faithless frivolity
- -Symbol of the soul consumed by a mystical love, attracted like the insect fluttering round the candle till it burns its wings.
- -Virgins carried them when they were ready to be brides.
- Empty-headedness, fickleness, and instability
- -God's breath.
- -God's power.
- -Fore warning and a message from heaven.
- -Living symbols of divine freedom.
- -Symbol of the soul escaping from the body.
- -Color of the soul, libido, and heart.
- -Lust for power that leads to self-absorption and hatred.
- -Violent passion.
Strength and safety in the dangers of a voyage.
-Conductors of souls in the initiatory rites and ceremonies of divination in Africa.
- -Symbol of power.
- -Lies contrasted with the truth.
- -Primordial undifferentiated state.
- -Sterile crust under which reality must be sought.
Strong tendency towards evil.
- A manifestation of the perverse forces of the world.
- -All the human vices/impulses which the individual cannot master; sin.
- -Psychological warfare.
- -Associated with every event in human life.
- -Echo of existence.
- -Spiritual unity
- -The male principle
- -The Holy Trinity
- -Beginning of degradation.
- -Lower levels of existence.
- -Vegetation thrives free from any control or cultivation.
- -Jungian symbol of the perilous aspects of the unconscious.
Possess the magic ability to ward off the misfortunes that beset men, animals, and plants.
- Power of speech. Creative force.
- Elevated sense of consciousness and control.
- -Sign of death.
- -Symbol of wasted sperm (Freudian eros and thanatos; men of bad faith)
The opening of this world on to the other world
-Time when soul loses contact with God, feels no elation, suffers a mental paralysis, and lacks light, warmth, touch, and any sign of God's presence.
Earth-bound passions or their fulfillment.
The drive of the libido.
- -Ascension to heaven
- -Symbol of sacrifice
Righteousness and wisdom
- -Image of the unconscious
- -Time when unconscious is set free
- -State of being deprived of all proof and psychological support
-Symbol of powerlessness and disqualification.
-Power to let in or shut out.
- -Loss of teeth symbolizes loss of youth and loss of strength to defend oneself.
- -Power of chewing and aggressiveness from physical desire.
- -Lack of teeth: frustration, castration, and bankruptcy.
Superhuman wisdom and knowledge.
(Freudian) Castrating figure that makes people submissive
- -Human wholeness
- -Completion of a cycle
- -Perfect order
Chaos, mystery, the unknown; death; the unconscious; evil; melancholy; primal wisdom.
Circle, life cycle, four seasons, female, nature, four elements (earth, water, fire, air)
- Coordination of mental processes into an effective personality (integration)
- -Four limbs + the head
- -Cardinal points + the center
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview