BIOL 404-Exam 4-CNS 7
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What types of influences create a learning experience?
Positive and negative influences
What is a conscious experience?
- Internal and External awareness
- Includes: taste, happiness, perception of touch
What is selective attention?
- The ability to avoid distraction by recruiting attention for only one item and ignoring excess stimuli
- Often momentary
What is habituation?
- eventual diminishment of response to repeated stimuli
- e.g. slowing dissipating sound of ticking clock
What is the purpose of habituation?
To reduce overwhelming or unnecessary stimuli
What are the steps of selective attention?
- Disengagement from current stimulus
- Acquire new stimulus
- Increased arousal and attention to new stimulus
What major areas contribute to selective attention?
- Multisensory modalities (all over the brain)
- Cerebral cortex
What is the function of the locus coeruleus in conscious thought?
Where is the locus coeruleus located?
The brain stem
What is the role of the cerebral cortex in conscious thought?
Direct thoughts and memories associated with stimuli
What part of the brain directs thoughts and memories associated with stimuli?
What happens to a person with damage to the right parietal lobe?
partial images in the left field
Why do people with right parietal lobe damage have reduced visual field?
They are receiving info through the eyes, but the brain can't process it
What is primary motivated behavior?
- Internal stimuli = thirst, cold
- Maintenance of homeostasis
What type of behavior is motivated by maintaining homeostasis?
Primary motivated behavior
What is secondary motivated behavior?
- does not rely on primary motivated behavior
- Making a choice
- based on learning, habits intellect, emotions
- e.g. soda or coffee
What type of behavior is associated with making a choice?
Secondary motivated behavior
What is secondary motivated behavior based on?
Intellect, previous experiences, emotions, incentives, habits
What region of the brain is involved in motivated behavior?
What is the Mesolimbic region associated with?
Name the parts of the Mesolimbic region:
- Locus cerebreus
- Nucleus accumbens
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview