Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
America's New Health Problem
- -Chronic Disease
- -Heart Disease
- -Cirrhosis of the Liver
- - US over emphasis on state of art cures than cures instead of prevention programs
- -US system fails to provide good health care
- -44 million residents without life insurance
Healy Life Expectancy (HLE)
- -Japan has the highest life expectancy
- -US ranked 24th
Causes of Increased Mortality
- -Extremely poor health in Native Americans rural African Americans and inner-city poverty
- -High incidence of tobacco use
- -High incidence of coronary heart disease
- -Fairly high levels of violence, notably homicides, as compared to other developed countries.
- -American diet is the highest in fat
- -American diet is the lowest in fiber
- -US has the highest rate of heart disease, cancers of the colon, rectum, breast, and lung
Causes of Death
-Rest die due to unhealthy lifestyle
Leading Health Problems in the US
- -Half of the deaths are caused by cardiovascular disease and cancer.
- -Caused by cigarette smoking
- 1.Tobacco Use
- 2.Poor diet
- 3. Inactivity
What are Health and Wellness
-State of complete physical, mental, and social well being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity
Physical, mental, emotional, social, environmental, occupational, and spiritual
Dimensions most commonly associated with being healthy
- A state in which your mind is engaged in live interaction with the world around you.
- -Involves curiosity and ongoing learning
- -Think clearly, are quick to pick up new concepts, and catch on rapidly to new ideas.
- -Breeds creativity
the ability to understand your own feelings,accept your limitation, and achieve emotional stability.
the ability to relate well to others, both within and outside the family unit.
the ability to perform your job skillfully and effectively under conditions that provide personal and team satisfaction and adequately reward each individual.
capability to live in a clean and safe environment that is not detrimental to health
electrical device that senses body motion and counts the footsteps
the sense that life is meaningful, that life has purpose, and that some power brings all humanity together; the ethics, values, and morals to guide us and give meaning and direction to life
Wellness Challenges of the 21st Century
1979 publication of Healthy People, the US Surgeon Generals report on health promotion and disease prevention, the government embarked on a plan to establish broad national goals intended to promote wellness among all Americans
Individuals need to become ever more healthy conscious, and responsible and informed behavior is the key to good health.
Moderate Physical Activity:
and energy expenditure of 150 calories per day, or 1000 calories per week.
Maintain Healthy Weight
typically accumulate 1hr of daily physical activity.
How to prevent weight gain?
recommend that up to 60min of moderate to vigorous-intensity physical activity per day may be necessary to prevent weight gain.
American in accepting responsibility for?
their own health and wellness
Moderate Intensity Physical Activities:
- -washing and waxing a car
- -playing volleyball
- -playing touch football
- -wheeling self in wheelchair
- -Dancing fast
Personal approach may achieve wellness?
- -Stop smoking
- -Stop drinking
- -Weight Management
- -Increase physical activity